The Songactors' Choice Top Ten #230 (Special Edition)

Lucky

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The top 4 were from the 60's and 5-10 were from the 70's, despite the second largest generation participating being from the 2000s (the largest was the 70s).

That's an interesting fact, as provided in the Archive. I actually graduated in the 90's, but I was part of the class of 2000. I was in my 2nd or 3rd year of college when my nominations were actually released as singles and charted.

Edited by Guest

Frequent lurker, infrequent poster here. May I just add this whine? The music SUCKED the year I graduated high school. I had to hit #18 before anything decent (Sir Duke) jumped out at me. It was #54 (Strawberry Letter 23) before I found one song that I really really liked. The bottom third was far better. Sweet baby Buddha on a pogo stick, DISCO SUCKED!!!

* weeping *

Yes, no surprises... yet...

1. Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones (1969)

YES!!!! :thumbsup:

2. Light My Fire - The Doors (1967)

3. A Day In The Life - The Beatles (1967)

4. Boxer, The - Simon & Garfunkel (1969)

5. Hotel California - The Eagles (1976)

6. My Sharona - The Knack (1979)

7. Money - Pink Floyd (1973)

Classic but so good... :cool:

While I love all those songs and have them on my iPod, I'm not happy with the final list. It reads like a classic rock radio station's playlist and tons of really fantastic songs from post-1980 got totally shafted.

But ps, you yourself contributed to the final results. 6 of your 10 songs were pre-1980. I'm not trying to pick on you, I'm just saying that with enough people voting that way of course the list is going to be heavily classic.

In looking at my own votes, they read like a playlist from my high school years, and while I regret not being able to vote for songs from later periods this time, I relished being able to listen to and vote for some of my lifelong favorites.

As far as giving this ten a number .... it never occurred to me not to. Since we decided that the specials would be incorporated as a regular monthly feature it just seemed appropriate.

Oh and by the way ... I love this ten! :D

Frequent lurker, infrequent poster here. May I just add this whine? The music SUCKED the year I graduated high school. I had to hit #18 before anything decent (Sir Duke) jumped out at me. It was #54 (Strawberry Letter 23) before I found one song that I really really liked. The bottom third was far better. Sweet baby Buddha on a pogo stick, DISCO SUCKED!!!

* weeping *

If you're 40, wouldn't you have graduated sometime in the late 80's and not '77?

sfc1a-1.png

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #230: Graduation Year Edition

1. Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones (1969)

2. Light My Fire - The Doors (1967)

3. A Day In The Life - The Beatles (1967)

4. Boxer, The - Simon & Garfunkel (1969)

5. Hotel California - The Eagles (1976)

6. My Sharona - The Knack (1979)

7. Money - Pink Floyd (1973)

8. Black Water - The Doobie Brothers (1975)

9. More Than A Feeling - Boston (1976)

10. Ocean, The - Led Zeppelin (1973)

:headphones: