Suggestions for Specials

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep track of the songs I nominate, but I don't keep track of how many times I've nominated them. I know there are some songs I've nominated twice, but I can't think of any I've nominated any more than that. I'd think people that haven't been members long or don't participate in this game much would be at an even bigger disadvantage, as they don't have a whole lot of former nominations to draw on to begin with.

Ok, if we did a Beautiful Loser's Special (which is a good idea conceptually) I don't think the stipulation would be that they be your own previous nominations, just any songs nominated more than 3 times. But there lies the possible bugaboo, determining that.

It's easy to determine how many times a song has been nominated (or if it has) by just searching the archives (CTRL F). But just thinking of what those songs may be won't be all that easy. Unless you have actually kept track of your noms. Also, those of us on the team would have to double check them. It sounds like an awful lot of work for everyone to be honest. :P

And a really really good thought too. :) I was thinking about suggesting the very same thing. We've done it before back when Radhi was doing the specials, a Number 11's Special. That's much easier, just go back through the archives and make the list up from the #11's. But we could also do last place noms. That would be interesting. ;)

In regards to my Beautiful Losers suggestion, I was thinking that everyone would remember a song or two they had nominated two or three times that didn't make it in. I know personally I have nominated quite a few songs at least a grazillion times. If the old timers like me had more than two multi-noms, we could suggest them for the newer members. I don't know why in tarnation the songs would need to be verified. I was thinking Scout's Honor rule. I don't live in a world where I think a person would say a song has been nominated more than thrice if it really hasn't. And if you live in a world like that, then I am very sorry for you.

Then again, it must have slipped my mind that we as a group tend to be OCD and need to have ridiculous rules and GD regulations. Again, if we are giving out cash prizes for these Tens and therefore are obligated to institute military law regarding their execution, please let me know so I can change my nominating strategy to include every friggin' Beatles and Rolling Stones dinosaur ever recorded.

25.gif

Let me up there too .... I think that is a great idea. Two of your best obscure but amazing songs. My entire music library is obscure. :D

Miss Peaches feel better now?? :laughing: Love you right back chicky. ;) You know there's absolutely no reason why we couldn't just get all crazy, and play without all those GD rules, just nominate one of the gazillion songs we have all put out there that fell flat it's face .... oh wait, did I read that somewhere else? ;) I'm just a creature of habit, and also there are times when we have to have some GD rules ... but this really ain't one of them. A Beautiful Loser special is now officially in the hat.

And a really really good thought too. :) I was thinking about suggesting the very same thing. We've done it before back when Radhi was doing the specials, a Number 11's Special. That's much easier, just go back through the archives and make the list up from the #11's. But we could also do last place noms. That would be interesting. ;)

I renominated a bunch of #11's last year, so many have been wiped out. I'm sure there are at least 30 of them, but probably not much for a special.

Re: songs you think nobody else will know

If it turns out another SFer does know it, does it have to be changed for another nomination? :P

To me, just a sincere effort would qualify.

The way independent music is distributed online nowadays, most younger folks probably have stuff that hasn't hit far and wide yet.

And for the older farts like bazooka (who became teen-aged in 1962), it's a cinch to find something from just the vast numbers of tunes they can (hopefully) still remember.

• 4 months later...

How 'bout something like...

Songs from artists who have been in multiple bands and/or solo efforts? (pick three songs)

e.g. - Sammy Hagar/Montrose/Van Halen;

Ronnie James Dio/Elf/Rainbow/Black Sabbath;

Damon Albarn/Blur/Gorillaz

or that Split Enz guy

Or even just one band/solo effort? (pick two songs)

e.g. - Pete Townshend, Mick Jagger, Ginger Spice, Dr. Dre

Get the picture?

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: