The Songfactors' Choice Top Albums of the Decades: The '80's

Lucky

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already chosen my ten, and eight of them I owned on cassette and listened to many many many times on my boom box, the over sized i-pod of the 80s. :D

I would still like to see some one nominate John Mellencamp, Culture Club, Lionel Richie, and Cyndi Lauper.

Not to dredge up an old argument, but Purple Rain is a soundtrack, but the songs were written specifically for the movie and recorded by one artist (as opposed to the 70s point of contention, Saturday Night Fever). Does Purple Rain count as a valid nomination?

DS_Brothers_in_Arms.jpg

Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits

1. "So Far Away" 3:59

2. "Money for Nothing (Knopfler, Sting)" 7:04

3. "Walk of Life" 4:12

4. "Your Latest Trick" 4:46

5. "Why Worry" 5:22

6. "Ride Across the River" 6:58

7. "The Man's Too Strong" 4:40

8. "One World" 3:40

9. "Brothers in Arms" 6:55

Bella_donna.jpg

Bella Donna by Stevie Knicks

1 Bella Donna 5:18

2 Kind of Woman 3:08

3 Stop Draggin' My Heart Around 4:02

4 Think About It 3:33

5 After the Glitter Fades 3:27

6 Edge of Seventeen 5:28

7 How Still My Love 3:51

8 Leather and Lace 3:55

9 Outside the Rain 4:17

10 The Highwayman 4:49

Does Purple Rain count as a valid nomination?

I don't see why it wouldn't...

All songs performed by same artist, despite being a soundtrack (if that is even a ruling)

All songs were originally from this release, unlike SNF, where half the songs were from another album prior to release.

All songs were originally from this release, unlike SNF, where half the songs were from another album prior to release.

In that case maybe my "Stop making Sense" nomination wouldn't be valid? Because the songs are all from other albums...

In that case, let me know and I'll nominate another album...

In that case maybe my "Stop making Sense" nomination wouldn't be valid? Because the songs are all from other albums...

In that case, let me know and I'll nominate another album...

I think it counts because it is the soundtrack to a concert film and all the material is Talking Heads original material. But I don't make the rules. ;)

This time I don't agree. Eagles Their Greatest Hits is one of my all time favorite albums and one of the top selling albums of all time. But there are some distinctions between these two albums, which clearly made the Eagles' ineligible.

Stop Making Sense is a live 1984 album by Talking Heads, the soundtrack to the film of the same name.

Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975) is the fifth album by the American rock band the Eagles, a compilation of singles released on Asylum Records in 1976.

I'm sorry. It's the live part that does it for me. We made the same decision for the 70's, and we should try to be consistent. :P