Metal - Heavy and Otherwise

Carl

Excerpt from interview with Charlie Benante of Anthrax

IOP: Speaking of kids, who inspired you growing up?

CB: Definitely The Beatles. That was it for me when I was very little. When I was my daughter’s age, two years old, my mother said I was playing along to Beatles records – not playing perfectly, but because I had four older sisters who were always playing them in the house, I was just a little sponge and absorbing it all. The Beatles are definitely the ones that, nine times out of ten, people will give that answer; that it was The Beatles that changed it for them. They were the first ones really and then Led Zeppelin comes in.

KISS, of course, Black Sabbath, The Sex Pistols – all this stuff I just love, and it all became a part of what the Anthrax sound was. When I first joined the band, Anthrax sounded like an Iron Maiden/Judas Priest type of band. After I got into the band, the sound changed a lot. It became more Punk Rock, more speedy…that’s the stuff that I love.

Link

Impressed by this reasonably comprehensive analysis of "hardcore punk": Link

In this article, it is observed:

"Influence on other genres: The San Francisco-based thrash metal band Metallica incorporated the compositional structure and technical proficiency of heavy metal with the speed and aggression of hardcore. The new fusion genre became known as speed metal, and later thrash metal. Other early bands in this genre include Megadeth and Anthrax. Slayer are also known for their hardcore punk roots, and have released an album of hardcore covers called Undisputed Attitude. Many longtime punks, who remembered fighting with hostile metalheads only a fews years earlier, felt that those long-haired heavy metal fans were attempting to co-opt hardcore, and were merely mimicking the hardcore punk style.

In 1985, New York's Stormtroopers of Death, an Anthrax side project, released the album Speak English or Die. Although it bore similarities to thrash metal – with a bass-heavy guitar, fast tempos and quick chord changes – the album was distinguished from thrash metal by its lack of guitar solos and heavy use of crunchy chord breakdowns (a New York hardcore technique) known as mosh parts. Other bands, such as Suicidal Tendencies and DRI, switched from hardcore to a similar metallic style, which came to be known as crossover."

I found an interesting interview with Lemmy of Motorhead. Now if one single band could be identified as the progenitor of thrash-metal, speed-metal, Metallica, Slayer, Venom et al, it is Motorhead.

I'll quote from it here:

"E.C.: You've influenced a lot of the speed metal bands that appeared in the 80's...

Lemmy: They've just got the wrong bit. They think that being fast and loud is the whole thing and it isn't. The guitar solos are not really difficult for a guitar player, it's just playing scales. To feel a solo and bend into it & I mean Hendrix is the best guitarist you've ever seen in your life. And he learned from people like Buddy Guy, Lightnin' Hopkins and people like that inspired Hendrix. To be influenced by something, you're gonna have to play it the same. And these guys are influenced by us, but I don't feel any kinship with them. Cause theirs is vastly inferior to ours.

E.C.: You cover "God Save the Queen" on your newest record...

Lemmy: Oh, you noticed that (deadpans)

E.C.: A lot of bands have tried to cover Sex Pistols songs...

Lemmy: The only one I heard that was any good was Megadeth's "Anarchy".

E.C.: A lot of other bands at that time saw punk as a threat. Did you feel an affinity with the punk bands when they first came out?

Lemmy: We had gigs with the Damned & I always felt more kinship with the punk bands than the metal bands cause I mean, we had a lot more in common with the Damned than Black Sabbath. I mean we have nothing in common at all with Judas Priest. There's like the Damned, the Pistols, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers before he fucked up again. They were great, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers. When they first came to London and he was relatively clean they were tight as a crabs ass. But then, there they go again, heroin one more time helped a generation through their problems."

Link to full interview

From the Wall of Metal website: (wallofmetal.com)Link

What is thrash metal?

Thrash metal or speed metal is widely viewed as the most riff-oriented of all the heavy metal music sub-genres. It is generally accepted that it came into existence in 1981, though some bands had thrash riffs and other thrash ideas earlier than that. The first riff of Black Sabbath's 'Symptom of the Universe' (1975) is possibly the first thrash riff, though their 'Into the Void' (1971) was influential as well. Speed metal pioneers Judas Priest had some thrash ideas on their Stained Class LP (1978), including the punkish counterpoint riff on 'Saints in Hell' or the general structure of 'White Heat, Red Hot'.

Two important early proto-thrashers were Motorhead and Venom, both playing a raw punk-influenced speed metal in the late 1970s. Motorhead's Overkill LP (1979) would give the name to a New York band that would officially write the first thrash song in 1981: 'Unleash the Beast Within'. Soon thereafter, San Francisco's Leather Charm would write 'Hit the Lights'. This band would break up, but the primary songwriter's next band, Metallica, would feature this song."

...and so on.

I found an interesting interview with Lemmy of Motorhead. Now if one single band could be identified as the progenitor of thrash-metal, speed-metal, Metallica, Slayer, Venom et al, it is Motorhead.

I'll quote from it here:

"E.C.: You've influenced a lot of the speed metal bands that appeared in the 80's...

Lemmy: They've just got the wrong bit. They think that being fast and loud is the whole thing and it isn't. The guitar solos are not really difficult for a guitar player, it's just playing scales. To feel a solo and bend into it & I mean Hendrix is the best guitarist you've ever seen in your life. And he learned from people like Buddy Guy, Lightnin' Hopkins and people like that inspired Hendrix. To be influenced by something, you're gonna have to play it the same. And these guys are influenced by us, but I don't feel any kinship with them. Cause theirs is vastly inferior to ours.

E.C.: A lot of other bands at that time saw punk as a threat. Did you feel an affinity with the punk bands when they first came out?

Lemmy: We had gigs with the Damned & I always felt more kinship with the punk bands than the metal bands cause I mean, we had a lot more in common with the Damned than Black Sabbath. I mean we have nothing in common at all with Judas Priest. There's like the Damned, the Pistols, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers before he fucked up again. They were great, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers. When they first came to London and he was relatively clean they were tight as a crabs ass. But then, there they go again, heroin one more time helped a generation through their problems."

Link to full interview

You know,I was going to post the same thing a few days ago but,you pretty much hit it exactly how it should be :cool: Motorhead's been around for a long time and the early stuff is just good and rough :thumbsup: 30 something years later Motorhead has changed (a little)but they still always go back and remember what it's all about

Bf that was very good :bow:

I'll quote from it here:

Link to full interview

Holy carp! Honestly, this is the first time I've read this or have read of how Punk was influential to Metal. When I first read the sentence "Metal owes influential debt to Punk," I was taken aback for a bit and smirked at the thought that there is debt for what boils down to speed and volume.

:stroking beard: Your kung-fu is good :beatnik:

• 2 weeks later...