The Songfactor's Choice (The Beatles)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, any of the big gun bands would be awesome. And if there was a band/musician that someone were to choose that say, not everyone knew the music of, it could be quite the educational experience :) .

For example, say we do a Springsteen TT (which would be awesome), perhaps one would not necessarily know much of his work outside the hits. That then could be a good way to discover new songs by an already popular artist. There's always hidden gems of songs no matter if the artist is well known or virtually anonymous.

There's always hidden gems of songs no matter if the artist is well known or virtually anonymous.

You're so righ there, Rocky... .cool:

I would like a Jefferson Airplane/Starship TT but I don't think many people would agree :laughing: Or a leoner Cohen one (that would be harder, i don't think he ever made the TT... or maybe once...? )

Shouldn't the artists have had enough songs make the Top 10 in order to be considered? The reason I see for that is, people who aren't familiar with the band/artist's works already have a list of songs they can listen to and choose from while those who are more familiar with the catalog and know some obscure tracks that didn't make the list, could nominate some of them along with the ones that are in the TT already.

Some of the artists proposed would definitely be interesting, but if they only had say 5 songs make the TT, it's going to be hard for people to make a list of 10 songs if they've only got 5 to listen to. The whole point of the TT I always believed, was providing songs to people and letting everyone listen and then choose which 10 they liked.

There should be some kind of minimum song requirement so that there's a base amount of songs to choose from first.

Couldn't we just allow nominations? They'd have the songs that have already made the Ten to choose nominations from, as well as the entire catalog in addition. Then we'd compile a regular list of nominations to vote from as usuual.

When you say "why can't we allow nominations" and then say we'd have a list of songs that already made the TT to choose nominations from....why would someone nominate a song that's already been nominated? Say next week's artist is the Stones. Satisfaction has obviously made the TT before. Why would someone then re-nominate it, if it's already in the final list of songs to choose from?

These are essentially shortened versions of the regular TT we do every week. Instead of everyone choosing two songs to start with and then choosing ten songs from the list of submitted songs, we already have songs to choose from, we just go straight into voting.

No no .... the specials are not subject to the Every Song list, they are just for fun. To determine the "Best Of" .... or whatever other theme we've got going. We wouldn't be trying to get the song into the Top Ten.

Such as this one for example. All the choices for the Beatles were the songs already on the list (plus others if you wanted). Am I misunderstnding what you're saying? I'm sorry if I am.

Edit: ok, I get what you're saying, and yes, this time the choices were laid out for us .... but does it have to be that way? Conversly, of course it can be that way. We'd just have to go with only artists that have a good number of songs in the TT already. At least 10 I'd guess, but with the option of any other song by the given artist as well. Exactly the way it was done this time

Edited by Guest

No no .... the specials are not subject to the Every Song list, they are just for fun. To determine the "Best Of" .... or whatever other theme we've got going. We wouldn't be trying to get the song into the Top Ten.

Such as this one for example. All the choices for the Beatles were the songs already on the list (plus others if you wanted). Am I misunderstnding what you're saying? I'm sorry if I am.

Edit: ok, I get what you're saying, and yes, this time the choices were laid out for us .... but does it have to be that way? Conversely, of course it can be that way. We'd just have to go with only artists that have a good number of songs in the TT already. At least 10 I'd guess.

I know we wouldn't be getting a song into the TT, since this isn't a regular TT thread. I think you were misunderstanding what I was saying, although it's probably my fault.

What I'm suggesting is, for an artist to have a special TT thread like this one, they should have a minimum number of songs already in the TT to choose from, along with any other songs you want to put in your list of 10. We saw people doing that with the Beatles, putting other songs in their lists that weren't provided in the opening post. Obviously not every band is going to have as many songs as The Beatles.

=:P I think I'm having a particularly dense moment, sorry. Nominations wouldn't work anyway, as we'd be limited to only those few songs.

The more correct and simpler response should have been, yes you're right. :D We need to do artists that have a large enough catalog of songs (either in the ten already or not) familiar enough to everyone that we can make good choices.

So I'm guessing Captain Beefheart is out. ;)

Shouldn't the artists have had enough songs make the Top 10 in order to be considered?

I agree, I think an artist should have a minimum of 25 or 30 songs already in the ten to be eligible for their own special. I thought of this Beatles and Stones idea a long time ago when they were at around 40 songs in each.

Also suggested artists should have a "petition" with about 10 agreements to vote on it, in order to qualify.

I would prefer if this subject was given it's own thread, I feel this Beatles thread could've been about half as long.

Edited by Guest

Kenne, I apologize, I didn't mean for that to happen. I realized we had when it was too late. We'll just see how things work out as we go as far as the details go. Again, sorry kiddo. :P

The important thing is the results of this go round. I'm interested to know what we think the 10 best beatles songs are!

Beatles.png

1. In My Life - 70

2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - 58

3. Let It Be - 51

4. Helter Skelter - 40

5. Eleanor Rigby - 39

6. Revolution - 36

7. Strawberry Fields Forever - 30

8. Come Together - 30

9. Day Tripper - 30

10. I'm So Tired - 30

Long And Winding Road, The - 28

Yesterday - 28

Something - 27

A Day In The Life - 26

Don't Let Me Down - 25

I Am The Walrus - 24

Nowhere Man - 24

Here Comes The Sun - 23

I Saw Her Standing There - 22

Ticket To Ride - 22

And Your Bird Can Sing - 21

Across The Universe - 20

Rocky Racoon * - 20

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) - 19

All My Loving - 16

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - 15

Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da (Life Goes On) - 15

Penny Lane - 15

Blackbird - 14

Hey Jude - 14

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - 14

A Hard Day's Night - 13

Can't Buy Me Love - 13

I Want To Hold Your Hand - 13

Tomorrow Never Knows - 13

With A Little Help From My Friends - 13

Back In The U.S.S.R - 12

Fool On The Hill,The - 12

Think For Yourself - 12

Girl - 10

Help - 10

I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 10

End, The * - 10

Rain - 9

She Loves You - 9

We Can Work It Out - 9

I'm A Loser - 8

Yellow Submarine * - 8

Ballad Of John And Yoko, The - 7

All You Need is Love * - 7

Baby's In Black - 6

If I Fell - 6

Paperback Writer - 6

Hello Goodbye - 5

For No One - 4

Doctor Robert * - 4

Lady Madonna - 3

Please Please Me - 3

Every Little Thing * - 3

Honey Pie * - 3

Dear Prudence - 2

Got To Get You Into My Life - 2

I Feel Fine - 2

You Won't See Me - 2

I'm Looking Through You - 1

It Won't Be Long - 1

She's Leaving Home - 1

Getting Better * - 1

Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band * - 1

* = songs that haven't made the regular Top 10 to date.

Thank you to everyone who participated :)