Why Père Lachaise?

edna

Someone asked me the other day why was Jim Morrison buried in Paris. I just said he died there. But I never thought about that... why didn't his family want him buried in the US? Any of you have an answer? I think they might have thought Père Lachaise was a nice place to sleep forever...?

Someone asked me the other day why was Jim Morrison buried in Paris. I just said he died there. But I never thought about that... why didn't his family want him buried in the US? Any of you have an answer? I think they might have thought Père Lachaise was a nice place to sleep forever...?

I'm not really sure about this but I heard that Jim Morrison's dad was an Admiral in the U.S. Navy...And for whatever reason he wasn't impressed with his son...But,now...30 something years later his family was trying or tried to get Jim's body back...Really sort of sad :(

I'm not really sure about this but I heard that Jim Morrison's dad was an Admiral in the U.S. Navy...And for whatever reason he wasn't impressed with his son...But,now...30 something years later his family was trying or tried to get Jim's body back...Really sort of sad :(

Yes, his father was an Admiral. I knew they were not very "close" . And I didn't know they tried to get the body back home... Thank you for the info, Chutz and Sébas and Tim... :cool:

Yea, in fact when he was in college, Morrison told people that his parents were actually dead. He never liked them. And it kinda seemed like they didn't care about him. For the longest time they thought he was going to Florida State University when in reality he had hitchhiked to UCLA and was going there.

Anyways, my guess is he was buried there because it was nearby. He didn't even have an official marker over his grave until a bit later when the French government placed a shield over it but in 1973 it was stolen. Then, in the early 80s, a sculptor placed a bust he made of Morrison over the grave but that was vandalized and stolen. Finally in like 1990, Morrison's father placed a flat stone on it that says in Greek "according to his own daimÅn".

Here's a picture of it. Not too glamorous.

450px-Pary_pre-lachaise_morison.jpg

by coincidence, this was on the main site today:

Music history

event of the day

Deaths

1971 : Jim Morrison of The Doors is found dead in his bathtub at age 27. No autopsy was performed, and while drugs were suspected, the official cause was "heart attack induced by respiratory problems.