The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #225

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Debbie Downer, it's finally over. :P :jester: I'm just kidding. I know you are burnt out on the ten, Kenne. ;)

And it is over, at least in this incarnation, it is. If the masses wish it so however, hopefully we'll be back in some form or other

I'm pleased, I never thought Kiki Dee would make it in, I'd forgotten the song until just the other day. It's a good one though!

:bow:: for the Top Ten, and for everyone that has participated. It's been a hell of a run for a simple game, and all of us on the team appreciate your showing up week after week to play! :bow:

I'd like it to come back, either the way it is, or perhaps every two weeks, or maybe alternating with specials. But whatever the decision is, I'd like it to come back. The main question seems to be "What's the point?" My response is "Who cares? It's a game and it's fun."

It's a game and it's fun."

It's hard work though for the ones who do the vote counting or year look-up each week.

Maybe after the summer break, it will refresh for everybody and be like new again. Best of luck to the next co-host.

Then do what most corporations do anymore -- outsource the work. Have one person be in charge of starting the thread and putting up the list of nominations, but have someone else do the vote counting and year look-up. Although I don't understand what you mean by year look-up, 99% of us post the year the song came out when we give our nominations in the first place.

That way one person isn't doing all the work and it's less time-consuming on everyone.

Awww, that's nice of you Kenne ... :)

The thing is we always wnat things to be as accurate as possible, so we double check the song title, the band name, and the year, because that information is submitted as facts for the database. Sometimes it's simple things like ... the use of the word and when "&" was the correct form, The band or artist name, correct spelling the correct year etc.

First of all, I've got to give you all props, because few people gave their years in the beginning, and good lord sometimes they were off by 5 years or so .... but for the past year, most eveyone is on the money, or at least close. In the future though, I've already decided that we'll only verify years for the final 10. Unless we need to verify a version, etc. Hopefully we can pare this thing down just a bit ... ;)

Then do what most corporations do anymore -- outsource the work. Have one person be in charge of starting the thread and putting up the list of nominations, but have someone else do the vote counting and year look-up.

That's the way we've always done it. ;)

Edited by Guest

I made a mistake with the numbers, the results on the chart didn't complete on the other side as it extended to a second page (this was a bigger turn out then what I am used to) and because of all the debate discussion I missed one of the votes. These are the actual results of this week's 10. I apologize to Blue In Green, it was an honest mistake.

sfc6.png

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #225 for the week ending 4th July, 2010

1. Happiness Is A Warm Gun - The Beatles (1968) *

2. How Many More Times - Led Zeppelin (1969) *

3. No Sleep Till Brooklyn - The Beastie Boys (1986)

4. Without You - Badfinger (1970)

5. I've Got the Music In Me - Kiki Dee Band (1974)

6. She's The One - Bruce Springsteen (1975)

7. Tell Me Something Good - Rufus and Chaka Khan (1974)

8. Getting Better - The Beatles (1967)

9. Sinnerman - Nina Simone (1965)

10. Cupid - Sam Cooke (1961)

* = tie, with Beatles getting top spot with more people voting.

:headphones:

Edited by Guest

Stuff happens Kenne, don't worry about it. Apologies to BIG, but it's all been set straight now right?

I'm still pretty pleased with the outcome, I like both Beatles songs, the Badfinger song, and Tell Me Something Good finally made it.

Wooo! My nom made it!

Well I'm certainly going to miss this thing. I always enjoy it. But I do understand it's hard work for everyone involved with it and I thank all of you for it.

As far as outsourcing goes, I don't know how much I like the idea of some Indian guy running our top ten ;)