E Talking - Soulwax

Mercy - Triggerfinger & Selah Sue

Struggle For Pleasure - Wim Mertens

Mirror Mirror - Ghinzu

Your Shopping Lists Are Poetry - Mint

Nah neh nah - Vaya con dios

My Heroics, pt 1 - Absynthe Minded

Icon - Daan

Thanks for introducing me to so much cool Belgian music, Viaene. I must keep an eye out for more stuff by Hooverphonic, in particular. The Van Jets also sound like they might be right up my street. :thumbsup:

awesome music, and awesome idea to compile a list just of Belgian music... almost makes me want to do the same for German music

Agreed on both points...and why don't you? ;)

I had a great time listening to this list, I only knew a couple beforehand but I've discovered plenty so, thanks. :thumbsup:

1. My Heroics, pt 1 - Absynthe Minded

2. Mad About You - Hooverphonic

3. British Mode - Goose

4. Estupendo - Arsenal

5. Icon - Daan

6. High On A Wire - The Blackbox Revelation

7. Grootste Lul Van ‘t Stad - FlipKowlier

8. Kamer In Amsterdam - De Mens

9. Struggle For Pleasure - Wim Mertens

10. Electric Soldiers - The Van Jets

Honorable mentions:

ça plane pour moi - Plastic Bertrand

Free Haven - Ozark Henry

Tryer - Motek

Einstein Brain - Admiral Freebee

Vive Ma liberté - Arno

Kvraagetaan - Fixkes

Your Shopping Lists Are Poetry - Mint

Nah neh nah - Vaya con dios

1] Jaloes - Thof Van Commerce

2] Nah neh nah - Vaya con dios *

3] Mad love sweet love - A brand

4] British Mode - Goose

5] E Talking - Soulwax

6] Mad About You – Hooverphonic

7] Estupendo - Arsenal

8] Grootste Lul Van ‘t Stad - FlipKowlier

9] Blankenberge - Hugo Matthyssen

10] A Little Bit Of Lovin’ - Tiny legs Tim

* I loved this song when you nominated it for the regular TT and I love it now. Woot!

I completely loved listening to your songs, sweet Sébastien. They were as awesome as you are. :rockon:

Again, here is another list of songs that I may not understand but I respond to them just the same. At the risk of sounding sappy, I am so grateful for my Songfacts family. I learn something new every time I come here. We rock long and hard, y'all.

Please don't start counting votes yet .... I've got about half the list to listen to. Thank you! :)

Here we go:

1. Mad About You - Hooverphonic :bow:

2. Kvraagetaan - Fixkes (I want to know what they are saying)

3. Loetsebollekezoetse - Biezebaaze (same here!)

4. Insensitive - Jasper Stevelinck (great, great version)

5. My Heroics, pt 1 - Absynthe Minded

6. She Goes Nana - The Radios 2

7. A Little Bit Of Lovin’ - Tiny legs Tim

8. Wrong - Novastar

9. Mia - Gorki

10. Struggle For Pleasure - Wim Mertens

Viaene, I loved this. All ten of these songs are great, but most especially I'm loving my top 3. I mean, really loving them. I knew the original "Insensitive" (I'd forgotten about it though), and this cover is really good. Belgium makes great music! :bow:

Edited by Guest
sorry I'm late!

In completing our international visit to Belgium, we certainly got a wonderful taste of why they are the party capital of the world (though some folks in Rio might argue that point.) Great pop, soul and rock made for terrific listening during this flight aboard:

Viaene's Personal Top Ten

1. My Heroics, pt 1 - Absynthe Minded 102

2. Mad About You - Hooverphonic 93

3. She goes nana - The Radios 43

4. Estupendo - Arsenal 40

5. High On A Wire - The Blackbox Revelation 37

6. Kvraagetaan - Fixkes 35

7. Electric Soldiers - The Van Jets 34

8. Insensitive - Jasper Stevelinck 33

9. ça plane pour moi - Plastic Bertrand 33

10.Voir Un Ami Pleurer - Jacques Brel 31

These on the border of Nether-nether-land:

A Little Bit Of Lovin’ - Tiny legs Tim 27

Vive Ma liberté - Arno 27

British Mode - Goose 26

Mia - Gorki 26

Mercy - Triggerfinger & Selah Sue 25

Grootste Lul Van ‘t Stad - FlipKowlier 23

Suds ’n Soda - Deus 23

Free Haven - Ozark Henry 21

I Feel Alive In The City - Zita Swoon 21

Einstein Brain - Admiral Freebee 20

Never Get Enough - Das Pop 20

Loetsebollekezoetse - Biezebaaze 19

Nah neh nah - Vaya con dios 19

A Love Affair - Lady Lynn 18

De Roos - Ann Christy 15

Icon - Daan 14

Mirror Mirror - Ghinzu 12

Den Dikke Lu - Clement Peerens eXplosition 11

Kamer In Amsterdam - De Mens 10

Your Shopping Lists Are Poetry - Mint 9

Mad love sweet love - A brand 8

Mean Mobiel - Yuko 8

Tryer - Motek 7

E Talking - Soulwax 6

Wrong - Novastar 6

Ne Me Quitte Pas - Toots Thielemans 5

Struggle For Pleasure - Wim Mertens 4

Anne - Clouseau 3

Black Hope Shot Down - Zornik 2

Blankenberge - Hugo Matthyssen 2

Smidje - Lais 1

----------

and these that never got off the runway:

Blanche En Zin Peird - Willem Vermandere

Champagne - Millionaire

Help - Channel Zero

Hold The Line - Blue Blot

Ik wil je - Kreuners

Kennedy Boulevard - Axelle Red

Meisjes - Raymond Van Het Groenewoud

Poolijs - Bart Peeters

What say ye to Sébastien? Comments, questions, quotes or quirks; our friendly host is available to respond in a number of languages.

01. ça plane pour moi - Plastic Bertrand (YES! :cool: )

02. Suds ’n Soda - Deus (HahHahahahah. Oh, man! I totally forgot about this 90s tune. It used to come on Alternative Nation and 120 Minutes on MTV back when it was good)

03. Icon - Daan (I dig the solo)

04. Ne Me Quitte Pas - Toots Thielemans (wow... sad and melancholy, and beautiful)

05. Estupendo - Arsenal (this one I liked as soon as I heard it. The video reminds me of Cassius's video for "1999." I'm sold on this one - I'll probably buy this album)

06. Champagne - Millionaire (another band that I'm sold on)

07. E Talking - Soulwax (decent track - this woulda sold like hot cakes back in the late 90s)

08. Kamer In Amsterdam - De Mens (vocals and music has a hint of Smithereens... decent)

09. Grootste Lul Van ‘t Stad - FlipKowlier (Rock and Electronic music are easy to get used to in any language)

10. Mean Mobiel - Yuko (I could watch this on [repeat] aaaaaall day :googly: )

The rest were an interesting listen... and I had to listen to 47 of those songs for a total of approximately 2.5 hours :headphones: Suffice to say, it makes for an interesting playlist on a Friday night.

- Ik wil je - Kreuners (the repeat part from 01:00 to 01:05 sounds like The Cure's "I'm running towards nothing... again and again and again" from their song, "A Forest")

- Black Hope Shot Down - Zornik (Belgian EMUS! Pas mal)

- Struggle For Pleasure - Wim Mertens (Koyaanisqatsi... in Flemmish!)

- Anne - Clouseau (I like the instrumentation of this one. It has a SmOoo00Ooo0th Jazz quality to it :beatnik: )

- Hold The Line - Blue Blot (the lyrics are very reminscent of A Flock Of Seagulls' "Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You")

- British Mode - Goose (this sounds too much like The Faint's "Agenda Suicide" in its beat and pacing... is this good or bad? Good for its novelty, but normally this would be bad... great video)

- Insensitive - Jasper Stevelinck (how come a lot of these songs sound so familiar? I'm on the fence about this Wuss Rock song... I KNOW! This sounds a little bit like Wham!'s "Last Christmas" hahHHhaHaHah)

- My Heroics, pt 1 - Absynthe Minded (Belgian Wuss Rock... is this like the Belgian beer of music?)

- A Love Affair - Lady Lynn (funky hair bangs, but cute as hell... dunno about the songs, though)

- Kennedy Boulevard - Axelle Red (she was about to have a wardrobe malfunction. Her lip-synch needs work... :cool: )

- Mirror Mirror - Ghinzu (I've heard this in Daft Punk, Holy Ghost!, Franz Ferdinand, and other new Electronic bands before... it's pretty hard to stand out in this genre nowadays)

- Mad About You - Hooverphonic (Sounds waaaay too much like that cheezorama Portispottyhead song from the 90s "Nobody Loves Me")

- Wrong - Novastar (guitar sounds like The Durutti Column... but vocals and lyrics are 100% Wuss Rock)

- Electric Soldiers - The Van Jets (the video held so much promise...)

- Your Shopping Lists Are Poetry - Mint (I don't like this Wuss Rocker's overall happy outlook about his chick's shopping list... he needs to be dumped by his girl for a d-bag :cool: )

- Nah neh nah - Vaya con dios (are they, in any way, related to Yo La Tengo? Vayanse Al Carajo :beatnik: )

I was a bit bummed for the lack of Lio, Telex, Elli Et Jacno, Front 242, and Poesie Noire...

1. My Heroics, pt 1 - Absynthe Minded 102

2. Mad About You - Hooverphonic 93

3. She goes nana - The Radios 43

4. Estupendo - Arsenal 40

5. High On A Wire - The Blackbox Revelation 37

6. Kvraagetaan - Fixkes 35

7. Electric Soldiers - The Van Jets 34

8. Insensitive - Jasper Stevelinck 33

9. ça plane pour moi - Plastic Bertrand 33

10.Voir Un Ami Pleurer - Jacques Brel 31

Seems everybody agreed on 1 and 2 :D

I tried to include a wide range of sounds, and looking at the votes, I think everybody found something different to appreciate.

Thank you very much for giving my PTT a listen and for voting. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. There's a few songs that I like a lot that didn't get much votes, but that's probably because not many of you know the language so you're forgiven ;)

You guys rock! :bow:

I really enjoyed your songs Viaene. There's some really good stuff here, and I was surprised at how much I really liked two songs that I didn't understand a word of. The words fit the songs, and that was all that mattered. Thanks for the fun!

I think steel should give it a few more days. I need to bump a few of those songs off the list :rockon:

And I think that anyone who wanted to impact the results should have gotten their vote in before the same deadline we have consistently had in place for 6 months. :cool:

I have another nominator excitedly expecting their list to be posted around midnight tonight. What do I tell them; we're pushing you back? I have tried to accommodate as fairly and reasonably as I could this entire round, but totally understand now that precedent is essential for the effective working of the top tens. I originally considered setting up a two-week period for voting, but in my experience the lists (and anticipation) lose a lot of dynamic energy at that interval. A week is fast, but its a rapid world. ;)

In all fairness, were I to start this again, I would post the results at midnight (EST) on Thursday, allow for comments all day Friday and then post a new set of nominations at midnight on Friday. This would allow the entire weekend for listening and 4 additional weekdays for fine-tuning/voting. But when I originally set it up, I tried to accommodate my own schedule as well, in order to consistently maintain the process without needing to change horses in midstream, as it were. Midnight Thursday EST is, in summer here, 3 A.M. And working a full-time job, plus running a photography business, at my age sleep is fairly important. ;)