The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #224

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a list of beautiful losers (I've Been Hurt, Make Me Smile, Indiana wants me, born to Cry, anything by ABBA or Leonard Cohen, etc) I nominate when I remember :cool:

Usually I get my inspiration among my facebook friends' posts...

I'll support whatever the consensus is. I would say though, that I'm such a nerd, I have my choices for the next 3 or 4 weeks already decided. LOL

As for how to get more people involved....I don't know. Have there been any regulars that haven't been participating lately? Maybe you could PT them and ask them to participate so we can get more variety in the total list of nominations. More songs never hurt anything. Or, you can always up the number of nominations per person to three. That way if the same number of people participate each week, we're still getting that many more songs.

Might be something to think about. :)

ps, you aren't a nerd at all, I've done that in the past, and I've always kept a running list. :D

As far as players & participation go, here's the thing. We're in what, our 4th year? Up until the past 6 months or so we've always averaged around 25 participants give or take. Of those individuals, some are "short-timers" (that may or may not still be around) some are long time members that have been here forever and still are. Lately we are down to between 17 & 19 particiapants, average. I myself have fun with the Ten, but I really hesitate to personally pt people and bug them to participate. I wouldn't feel right about that. It's understandable, that for a million different reasons, things change for people. Everyone knows where we are, and I think they play when they feel like it & don't when they don't.

So .... we can take a break, we can change up the rules a bit, or we can just continue along as we have been. Or just quit altogether. Y'all's choice. ;)

So .... we can take a break, we can change up the rules a bit, or we can just continue along as we have been. Or just quit altogether. Y'all's choice.

I vote quit all together, this thing has been going on for far too long and has become a shadow of it's former self. There isn't much left to the imagination. I would like to see it replaced by something else more exciting in terms of voting lists.

I agree. I think the game has become a bit predictable and could use a rest in the very least.

I do think it needs to be replaced with something, I just don't know what to suggest. Something everyone would find of interest tho. If we stop a weekly popular game like this and don't replace it, I think there's a few members that might become even scarcer then they already are :crazy:

Old55 started this Top five years ago in the Fun&Games thread... :) First it was a quizz, then it became the Top10.

I never missed a single TT.

I think it's usefull to submitt songs and share our fave ones, but we can find another way to do it. Or take a rest (mainly for those who moderate this thread)

If I have an idea I'll let you know :shades:

Yeah, that's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking Laurie (e.g. Artists of a time period, songs of a particular genre, etc.)

also maybe put more focus on the Songfactors choice.

I would like to at least do one more, so we can maybe do an ultimate special of 201 - 225 in the future. Though that idea may be a little over done and lacking interest at this point.

I've always enjoyed the top ten. I tell my friends about it sometimes because it's a lot of fun. And it's especially a great way to hear about new music. I've delved so deep underground in the world of indie music and rooted through absolutely every bit of music I can find that it's hard for me to find new music nowadays. However, the TT is a great way for me to do that.

If we were to stop doing it I wouldn't necessarily mind but I would certainly like to replace it with something else.

I just enjoy the games because I love the music.

I mean, that's why we all joined this forum in the first place right? Because we love music :D

Ok, so lets go ahead as normal this week, we'll at least finish up with #225. We can talk about it, and decide over the next week how we want to proceed.

It sounds as though we'll end (or suspend) the Top Ten as it stands now. But hopefully we can proceed with a Songfactor's Choice whatever if we can come up with something fun. I'll miss the ten, I've still got tons of songs in me, but there is no sense beating a dead horse either.

So the way I see it is we gotta dig deep this week .... come up with some really great nominations, so that the Top Ten goes out with a bang!

I'm a johnny come lately here but I can understand how after over four years something can get a bit stale.

I think the idea of allowing everyone three nominations is a good one, as is having weeks where you have to stick to specific genres.

Another possibility could be restricting nominations to a particular decade or even year.

Edited by Guest

sfc1a-1.png

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #224 for the week ending 27th June, 2010

1. Feelin' Alright - Traffic (1968)

2. Way You Do The Things You Do, The - The Temptations (1964)

3. Fool For The City - Foghat (1975)

4. FM (No Static At All) - Steely Dan (1978)

5. Moving In Stereo - The Cars (1978)

6. Another Saturday Night - Cat Stevens (1974)

7. Maneater - Hall & Oates (1982)

8. Matchbox - Carl Perkins (1957)

9. Big City Nights - Scorpions (1984)

10. Holly Holy - Neil Diamond (1969)

Thank you to everyone who participated :headphones: