Cop Punches Girl In Face

_Laurie_

We are trained that as soon as someone physically assaults you, you may use the appropriate force to arrest that person. He was dealing with two people who were being assaultive toward him, not to mention the unfriendly crowd there. Myself, I would have pepper sprayed them both, but that is only because I am older and wiser. I know that punching someone in the head often results in a broken hand. I do not know much about what led up to the force, but of what I have seen, it looks like the force used was not excessive.

I saw that on the news Laurie. Wasn't the girl he was attempting to arrest jaywalking?

No offense to any of our sfer's that may be or have family and friends in law enforcement, but we have been having about one to two police involved shootings in Portland and the surrounding areas almost daily it seems. This has been going on for several months.

Hate to say it but nine times out of ten the shootings have been very questionable. This morning a 16yr. old boy was tazed for resisting and he is now in critical condition. He was unarmed and there was more then one officer (4 I think) on the scene. This is becoming a pretty common event here in these parts.

I have had many law enforcement friends over the years and they always said their worst fear was being put in a position to have to shoot someone. Personally at least here locally, I don't know why they are killing so many people lately.

There has been two police shooting that I would say were most definitely justified. The others from the reports were very questionable. Like the naked unarmed guy that jumped onto the hood of a patrol car and they shot him. Come to find out, the guy had a gas can in his car that had exploded and he was badly burnt and most likely in shock.

I don't know all the details of all the shootings only what I see on the news.

I think I'll just stay home ;)

I saw that on the news Laurie. Wasn't the girl he was attempting to arrest jaywalking?

No offense to any of our sfer's that may be or have family and friends in law enforcement, but we have been having about one to two police involved shootings in Portland and the surrounding areas almost daily it seems. This has been going on for several months.

Hate to say it but nine times out of ten the shootings have been very questionable. This morning a 16yr. old boy was tazed for resisting and he is now in critical condition. He was unarmed and there was more then one officer (4 I think) on the scene. This is becoming a pretty common event here in these parts.

I have had many law enforcement friends over the years and they always said their worst fear was being put in a position to have to shoot someone. Personally at least here locally, I don't know why they are killing so many people lately.

There has been two police shooting that I would say were most definitely justified. The others from the reports were very questionable. Like the naked unarmed guy that jumped onto the hood of a patrol car and they shot him. Come to find out, the guy had a gas can in his car that had exploded and he was badly burnt and most likely in shock.

I don't know all the details of all the shootings only what I see on the news.

I think I'll just stay home ;)

I mean, there's a difference between the situations you described and what was happening there.

Personally, I think that cop was completely in the right. That chick assaulted him. Granted, pepper spray probably would've been the better thing to use, but I think he was fine with what he did, especially considering the very unfriendly crowd around. It did take him far too long to restrain this woman though.

I agree Rocky...I had mixed feelings about the video at first...but then thought about a situation that happened close to my area..A rookie cop was shot in the back of the head...he was leaving the scene and headed back to the patrol car...this was a 14 yr old kid that shot that rookie...Police Officers have a very dangerous job, and have difficult decisions to make on the spur of the moment....you just never know what could happen..

Yes Lea, it's a crazy world we live in....

I'm sorry, if you assault a police officer, you deserve what you get, up to a point. I would not however, condone a cop killing someone because the person punched them. That would be obscenely excessive.

If you punch a cop, though? They should punch you back. Their job is hard enough without pissy little brats beating on them like a bongo drum. If all that happened was a sock to the kisser, consider yourself lucky and shut up.

watching that video... grrrrr... I wish I hadn't seen it. I am totally on the side of the cop, believe it or not. No one should resist arrest, because they will lose one way or another. I was mentally putting myself in that cop's shoes, and I would have been terrified being surrounded and yelled at by an angry mob, and no backup help in sight. Cops typically go into situations with the crowd against them, so they're climbing uphill all the time anyway, and no telling when the mob mentality could set in.

The video gives no clue why these girls were being arrested. Were they drunk? On drugs? There must have been a reason the guy pulled over in the first place.

The girls did apologize to the officer which I think they should have done. But I still don't agree with him punching her in the face.

The cops are in a very hard situation and I understand how they can get tired of constant bad behavior like those girls displayed. It's sad that our society has declined to the point where even showing a total lack of respect for an authority figure is to often the norm these days.

When the cops can't even safely sit in a coffee shop and do paperwork without being gunned down, that is truly horrifying. But I just don't know about punching a young girl in the face like that. I do think she should face serious consequences from the judge for assaulting the officer.

I've figured out what the problem with this scenario is for me . It's the whole man hits women thing. I think Marc was right about lack the of experience playing a role. An older officer would have most likely have handled the situation in a different way.

When you see a man, any man hit a women it's shocking. If it had been a man he hit, it probably wouldn't have bothered me in the least.

When I see a man hit anyone, it's shocking. I don't give a rip about the person's gender. I don't like the double standard that exists in this country -- a man hitting a woman is seen as a horrifying crime, but if a woman beats a man she's seen as some kind of hero railing against the establishment. What horsehockey. I know that's not the exact scenario here, but I've seen it before.

This woman assaulted the cop first. So the cop hit her back. You want to start a fist fight or a physical altercation with someone? Be prepared to suffer the consequences, including getting punched yourself. Don't use your gender as an excuse because the guy retaliated.

a man hitting a woman is seen as a horrifying crime, but if a woman beats a man...

Thats just the thing tho. I have always held the belief that if a women wants to hit a man, she should expect to be hit back.

I think it was the whole visual thing that upset me. Any kind of violence like that makes me ill. I'm a pacifist to the extreme sometimes :crazy:

There are certain kinds of people I don't think we need in our society aka pedophiles or any one that preys on the weaker among us. But on the other hand, I could never pull the switch. I'm such a hypocrite :puppyeyes:

I understand that feeling. I support the death penalty, but only for the most extreme and depraved of cases -- otherwise I think it's used too often. That said, I don't know if I could personally take a life if I had to. I have no qualms about saying the serial child rapist should die, but I don't know if I could kill someone, even if it was to defend my own life. So I get that completely.

I too consider myself a pacifist and don't like seeing anyone beat up, be they male or female. I just personally believe that too many women in this country hide behind their gender to get away with things that a man would be sent up the river for and that bothers me. If I walked out into the street right now and randomly punched some dude in the face, I doubt I'd get as stiff a sentence as a man would if he just randomly punched ME in the face. And that to me is wrong. I know a couple people who think the cop should be fired for punching her, and when I brought up to them that she assaulted him first, they looked at me like it made no difference.

I wonder... if the cop had been female and the "victim" male... what would the consensus be then? Female cops are trained to take a beating - they have to be, to be able to defend themselves.

So let's say it's a highly trained, muscular female cop, and the guy is a little wimpy thing, and he's resisting arrest, his little male wimpy friend comes over and attacks the female cop, and she punches him in the face...

Agreed. I think the perfect example of the double standard is the Tiger Woods thing. I mean, his wife chased after him with a nine iron and everyone was shouting "you go girl! Kick his ass!" but if the situation had been the exact same but the positions switched Tiger would've been seen as this horrible monster.

Sexism is alive and well in America.

*cough* reverse discrimination *cough*

Who said that? That doesn't exist!