What cracks you up?

Tenacious_Peaches

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove past a plant nursery where it must be a policy that the attendant at the front of the business should be alerted by way of car horn before customers can pick up their purchases from the back greenhouse.

Click here to read the handwritten sign out front that made me laugh so hard I almost ran off the road.

Blow in the front for entry to the rear. :laughing:

I drove past a plant nursery where it must be a policy that the attendant at the front of the business should be alerted by way of car horn before customers can pick up their purchases from the back greenhouse.

Click here to read the handwritten sign out front that made me laugh so hard I almost ran off the road.

Blow in the front for entry to the rear. :laughing:

Reminds me of the shirts you could get at "Cappy's Liquor" in my hometown, where a card game could break out at anytime: "Cappy's Liquor; Liquor in front, poker in the rear." They also had an impressive collection of Elvis decanters.

• 2 weeks later...

It's happened again. Once in a while, when talking with older dudes, the conversations and responses run eerily similar:

Bitter Almonds: This weekend I was putting shelves together for my music and video collection 'cause the last ones collapsed and parts of my collection were damaged and destroyed (about $500 worth). Damn, it's like I'm married to this stupid collection.

Older dude 1: Ehhhh... I'd stick with the collection.

Bitter Almonds: Sigh. I need money to get married. Life will look different once I come home to someone rather than an XBox360.

Older dude 2: Are you crazy?! The XBox will not argue with you, make you do work you hate doing, it will never criticise you, and alls you gotta do is buy the occassional power brick for it. Stick with the XBox.

Bitter Almonds: Hahaha. I WISH I was a banker or analyst! I could make at least 150K and finally be able to marry.

Older dude 3: What?! You wanna pay to be nagged on? Nah, man, you have no idea what you're asking for.

I feel like someone is trying to tell me something :beatnik:

I'm with you, BA. I believe in a lifetime spent with the right person. But there's your key words - and they are KEY - "the right person."

My sister and her husband, some good friends J&S (don't wanna say their names here), some other good friends S&D, they are deliriously happy with each other and all have been married for at least 20 years or more. Then there are the married ones who are staying together for convenience sake, which is not great, and then there are those (3 in my immediate circle) who were married for over 20 years and are now getting divorced after all this time.

So, it's just a matter of finding the One, and making sure s/he's the One before committing your life to him/her.

It's taken me a verrrrry long time and a few frogs, but I've finally found the One, so I know it can happen regardless of your age.

Article/study from three years ago:

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20070104/marriage-beats-money-for-happiness

Marriage Beats Money for Happiness

Most Americans Have Found Key to Happiness -- but Married and Moneyed More So

By Jennifer Warner

WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MD Jan. 4, 2007 -- When reaching for the key to happiness, it's better to go for the golden ring than the greenback.

A new Gallup poll of 1,010 adults shows most Americans are generally satisfied with the way their personal life is going.

But those with higher personal incomes and especially those who are married are more likely to say they're very happy with their personal life.

Married adults at any income level were as likely, if not more likely, to report being happy than even the wealthiest unmarried adults.

Overall, the poll shows more than nine in 10 Americans describe themselves as "happy" and just 4% are "not too happy."

About 64% of married people said they are very satisfied with the way their personal life is going, compared with 43% of singles.

And while 72% of respondents with incomes of $75,000 or higher reported being very satisfied with their personal life, a mere 36% of those with an annual income of $30,000 or less did.

Money, Marriage, and Happiness

Researchers say Americans have always reported a high level of personal satisfaction, with at least eight in 10 adults saying they're happy with their personal life in polls since 1993.

In the current poll, conducted by telephone Dec. 11-14, 2006, 84% of Americans 18 and older said they were satisfied with the way things were going in their personal life, despite being in a nation at war.

Only 15% said they were dissatisfied with their personal life.

Although the vast majority of Americans were satisfied with their personal life, researchers found money and marriage appeared to go hand in hand with higher levels of personal satisfaction and happiness.

Combining the results of the 2006 poll with those from 2005 and 2004, researchers say marriage may be more strongly associated with personal happiness than money.

For example, 56% of married adults in the lowest income bracket reported being very happy, compared with 50% of unmarried adults in the highest bracket.

But marriage and money seemed to be even better -- 67% of married adults in the highest income group said they are very happy.

Personal vs. National Happiness

However, when it comes to the way their country is faring, only 30% said they are satisfied -- 54 points below the 84% satisfied with their personal life.

Researchers say it's not the first time such a large gap has been found between personal and national satisfaction. The largest gap (64 points) was in January 1981, a time of record gasoline prices and the humiliation of Americans held hostage in Iran from 1979 until their release that month.

The poll has a margin of error of +/- 3%.

Biologically, our brains are hardwired for this stuff, so it doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me sometimes is when people say, "I don't need anyone to be happy," "I don't let others define my happiness," or when they talk about "inner-happiness" as if it is totally exclusive to companionship; companionship is a part of the be-all, end-all equation that leads to happiness - it does define our happiness. Oh, and, statistically, the odds are waaaaay against any marriage lasting, esp. here in SoCal where divorce rates are more than 50%, and still people choose to get married again and again - and again! Hahahah. It's ubercheez, but Maslow's hierarchy of needs includes "belonging" and "intimacy" dab-smack in the middle BEFORE reaching the pinnacle of "self-esteem," "confidence," and "self-actualisation" (hence, it'd be a catch-22 to require someone to have those personal qualities before finding the right one). Of course, Maslow's hierarchy is old and antiquated, and a lot of it is pseudo-intellectual junk, but I like to bring it up since it kind of bears relevance to people in general. It doesn't crack me up to hear some kids say "I don't need anyone" since I wouldn't want to sound sarcastic or cynical, but it does make me smirk... because I am :beatnik:

it'd be a catch-22 to require someone to have those personal qualities before finding the right one).

that's why you can't place pre-determined criteria on people and just be open to new experiences.

It's shocking the hell out of my friends that I'm with a hunter/fisherman, because I don't agree with (a lot of reasons for) hunting, and I don't like fish. And he hates knowing the stories about songs, and that's what I do. :grin:

So he will go hunting without me, I will go fishing with him (but not actually fish - I just enjoy the quietude and usually take a book) and he will never read any of my interviews or Songfacts that I write. :mad: And so long as he continues to abide by the old adages, "What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine, too," and "Let's just save a lot of time and assume that I'm always right," everything will work out just fine.

:grin:

*raises hand*

I'm guilty of having predetermined criteria, although I also contradict myself (typical of me) and give almost anyone a chance because it is difficult for me to reject others. A few, very general things I initially keep in mind are first impressions (looks and demeanor), overall attitude towards me (i.e., if I made a good enough impression on them), and if they actively listen to learn from me or if I am wasting our time (someone who texts while we're eating would definitely be out of the question).

People who are acquainted with me do crack up when they see me with someone different than they had imagined, whereas I usually get unpleasant surprises whenever I am set up with their friends since I have nothing to go by - no background, no personality, no looks, nothing, except that they know the same person that I know. Ugh, and don't get me started with the disaster that is on-line dating or I'm liable to crack up :beatnik:

See I think the nagging relationship thing is just a stereotype.

All I've learned from v. limited experience is that you know you're doing something right if you're with someone who makes you a better person.

And everyone needs SOMEONE - not like a romantic relationship, but you need a social circle of some description, however tiny. Man is a social animal, and all that.

BWAHahAHahha! I just snorted coke (the drink) suppressing laughter.

Damn, sammy, you on a roll today! :cool:

See I think the nagging relationship thing is just a stereotype.

All I've learned from v. limited experience is that you know you're doing something right if you're with someone who makes you a better person.

And everyone needs SOMEONE - not like a romantic relationship, but you need a social circle of some description, however tiny. Man is a social animal, and all that.

I've never dated or befriended anyone who nags, so I wouldn't know what that would be like. Subconsciously, I probably weed those people out right off the bat.

At 23, you're way ahead on the game by knowing that good relationships add to our lives. I was probably face down in the gutter with a beer bottle one hand at that age...

I agree with every word Shawna has typed :D Levis has a pretty good clue to how it works as well.

People are social animals and not meant to be alone. On the other hand a good relationship needs to be a 50/50 deal not just going in but forever. A lot of people think they can just change things about a person and mold them into what they think they want or need at any given time later in the relationship.

That never works and makes everyone involved miserable. If you can't accept who and what a person is going in then you should move on. If your needs or views change drastically somewhere down the road and your partners doesn't, that can also led to disaster.

I know a lot of people in stable happy years long relationships. I also know even more people that have never found that and mostly likely for one reason or another never will. I think it all really boils down to fate and who you meet on your path ;)

The friends of mine who've remained mostly single seem to 'justify' it with the Stereotype Perspective. So I had a friend from school tell me he was happy to stay single because he didn't want to be tied down to a nagging girlfriend. :doh: Meanwhile, on the chick front, girls tend to blame their excessively high standards and the ol' All The Good Ones Are Taken theory. They're really not :P

I'm extra happy for the most sensible of all my girlfriends who knows this and doesn't put herself out there. She's just honest and a lovely person and attracts the most wonderful guys. So her main worry is being surrounded by too many good people all of whom are in love with her. It's quite traumatic for her but it's good to be loved so genuinely and she deserves it :)