2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa

Farin

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4-0 final, having fallen under the German juggernaut myself, Argentina, you have my sympathy... :P

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

(one for each goal)

Thank you, BlueAngel... :P

...and congrats, Martin!!! ;) :cool:

I am from Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

That is all.

I know that. :)

And you're amazing!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

((((((((((((((((((((((((((Sue))))))))))))))))))))))

Upside to Brazil losing is that I also lost the vuvuzelas, fireworks and canned air boat horns keeping me up half the night after another win.

LOL But today the cacophony started in again whenever Germany scored a goal against Argentina. The hatred in Brazil for that country's futebol team is as solid as support for our own team here. That is a mutual hatred BTW. It was said Maradona razzed the Brazilian team after their loss yesterday, admonishing them to get to a TV to watch a REAL team play today. I don't doubt he said it either.

It bothers me a little how easy it is for a referee to decide the outcome of the game in this sport. There have been controversial calls in American football in the past, but the rules are more straightforward. In soccer, it seems there's a lot of subjectivity in the rules, especially regarding penalties and offsides, that allows the opinions/biases of the refs to be a key factor in how the game progresses.

Upside to Brazil losing is that I also lost the vuvuzelas, fireworks and canned air boat horns keeping me up half the night after another win.

That's exactly my thoughts and my husband's. I tell him "well, the kids and the friends will be happy, so it's almost worth it..." :P

...so now we must close the windows cause Spain is having a party in every street of every town...

:P:P

It bothers me a little how easy it is for a referee to decide the outcome of the game in this sport. There have been controversial calls in American football in the past, but the rules are more straightforward. In soccer, it seems there's a lot of subjectivity in the rules, especially regarding penalties and offsides, that allows the opinions/biases of the refs to be a key factor in how the game progresses.

In general I fully agree with you, at worst a referee is one of the deciding factors of a match, that's why a common saying is "a god referee is one you barely notice is there"

But the subjectivity of the decisions doesn't have anything to do with the rules, but with the fact that the referee or his assistants have to decide what happened in a split second and then more or less have to stick with that decision. That's why the call for instant replays (or similar technical support) is getting louder and louder :P

The problem with that is, that the FIFA executives who would have to decide on that, have an average age of 70 and are generally opposed to any technical outside help...