2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa

Farin

Gernerally, I agree. Though Fabio Capello will likely recieve most of the flak, it was essentially the underachievement of the players individually that did the most damage. I'll always remain sympathetic and daftly loyal to Rooney, but like I mentioned before I have no reservations in placing heaps of blame on the defenders particularly Terry. Oddly enough I can't find much fault with David James' performance, plenty others failed before he did.

Argentina looks pretty comfortable at 3-1 with about 20 min left. Good luck Germany. :D

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holland is actually my second choice (well, first now). Led by a virtually unknown coach (Bert van Marwijk) they were flawless in qualifying and their obviously in excellent form in the finals winning all group stage games and beating Slovakia today.

They have a very strong defense, stable goal-keeper in Stekelenburg (though not quite my beloved Edwin van der Sar) :D and some world-class strikers. Having Arjen Robben back in the lineup alongside van Persie, Sneijder and Kuyt in the midfield and forward roles should make it a fairly even match-up against Brazil, that is if play the kind of fluid, dominant, "team" style they're known for. Or they might just fall apart like in every other World Cup they've participated in. :P (Let's hope not though, they're seriously due.)

You know, it is a crazy (but not surprising) thing here, but practically every business gives their employees paid time off for ANY game Brazil is involved in, until the Cup is over. It keeps people happy and certainly motivated to watch futebol!

I live on an extremely busy downtown street where the traffic never stops. At one point during today's (a Monday) 3 P.M. game, I went out on the veranda and looked down at a street nearly deserted except for an occasional bus.

You know, it is a crazy (but not surprising) thing here, but practically every business gives their employees paid time off for ANY game Brazil is involved in, until the Cup is over.

We have the "hour" off too in Spain. But we must come one hour earlier on that day... :cool:

But of course, Spain really never lost its "third world" touch... that's why I love it here! :grin:

However, they and everyone else know that they cheated to achieve that, so how satisfying is it?

I've been admiring Uruguay throughout this tournament; suddenly, tonight, my support for them drained away. In situations like that, you wonder if they should be able to do what happens in Rugby and award a "penalty goal". i.e. the goal which would have inevitably resulted, if the crime had not been committed. Yes, I know Suarez has been red-carded and misses the next game, but just look at the advantage his offence has secured. He could return to play in the World Cup Final; it's not on. I hate it when out and out shameless cheating is rewarded. :(

Quite mixed results. On the one hand I'm very happy for the Netherlands but very disappointed about Ghana.

Though they started out rather poorly conceding that early goal with slack defending, the Netherlands made an impressive comeback in the second half when a lesser team might have folded under the Brazilian attack. But they had some luck as well benefiting from some rare Brazilian defensive confusion and ultimately held strong while basic panic set in for their opponents. An upset certainly, but deservedly so. I would've like to see Van Persie do a little better, but Robben (in the second half), Sneijder and Kuyt more than made up for him, with the kind persistent, smart attacking they do so well together.

As for the Uruguay/Ghana game, that was just painful to watch especially those last few minutes of extra time. That is not the way to win and not the way Ghana deserved to lose. But there's no use in arguing it now, they had their chances and didn't use them, though at this level, with that much pressure no blame can really be placed and I can do nothing but feel sorry for them. I too lost a degree of respect for Uruguay and Suarez in particular, but can Forlan take a free kick or what? :P