"Just" by Radiohead video

JayMaier

As we all know, in the video for "Just" by Radiohead, there's a random guy laying down in the middle of the street (and the whole thing is subtitled) and then people keep asking what is going on, then finally the man in the street says that he will say why he's lying down, but warns the people of the danger (at this point the subtitles are turned off).

Then of course, it shows everyone lying down in the street.

So the question is, what was it that the man said to cause everyone to lie down in the middle of the street? To this day, only Radiohead and the video director know for sure, but the director said something to the effect of "It would make you lie in the middle of the street"

Any theories?

Who cares?! It didn't really HAPPEN - it's a scripted video! The man didn't say ANYTHING. It's a sitcom standard joke. Introduce an unexplainable 'plot'. And then don't f*cking explain it. Why? Because you've built up so much suspense in the hapless viewer, there's no way you can satisfactorily relieve it. Meanwhile, the viewer is so drawn into the inexplicableness of the situation he fails to realise that it's not real life. It's lazy screenwriting. It was a gag on Seinfeld for god's sake.

Who cares?! It didn't really HAPPEN - it's a scripted video! The man didn't say ANYTHING. It's a sitcom standard joke. Introduce an unexplainable 'plot'. And then don't f*cking explain it. Why? Because you've built up so much suspense in the hapless viewer, there's no way you can satisfactorily relieve it. Meanwhile, the viewer is so drawn into the inexplicableness of the situation he fails to realise that it's not real life. It's lazy screenwriting. It was a gag on Seinfeld for god's sake.

A hapless viewer? :shades:

I think that's just a strange video

Good song though

goodness. :puppyeyes:

I doubt Radiohead even knows what he said, it was just supposed to be a thing where everyone thinks he's crazy but then when he says whatever he knows everyone else follows him. I think that with any kind of art form, people read into things way too much. A lot of people have a hard time accepting that sometimes things don't have hidden meanings, and you just have to take in the big picture to get it.

I think the man in the video might be one of Jim Jones' children and the people in the video are members of the new Peoples Temple cult.

They probably used the video to get their message (whatever that may be) out to the world.

I'll try to zoom in on the police officer's uniform to see if I can see what city it happened in.

Maybe there is an article floating around the web about what really happened and why, but it sure seems like mass suicide all over again, just like the Jonestown Massacre.

I used to hate Radiohead a minute ago... and then I read this post :beatnik: