The Songfactors' Choice Top Albums of the Decade: The '70's

Lucky

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know... I guess it could count if the songs were written just for the soundtrack... is that the case here?

No, I think most of those songs were written for the respective artists' albums and then included on the soundtrack as they were featured in the movie. For example, the Bee Gees songs Jive Talkin' was on the album Main Course which was released in 1975 -- two years before the movie came out. You Should Be Dancing was on the album Children of the World, which came out in 1976. They did do several songs that were to be included on an album they were working on at the time, but Robert Stigwood convinced them to use them in the film instead. Those were Stayin' Alive, More Than A Woman, How Deep Is Your Live and Night Fever, if memory serves.

b-f asked me to nominate these two albums for him:

j7rot2.jpg

"Entertainment!" - Gang Of Four (1979)

1. "Ether" – 3:52

2. "Natural's Not in It" – 3:09

3. "Not Great Men" – 3:08

4. "Damaged Goods" – 3:29

5. "Return the Gift" – 3:08

6. "Guns Before Butter" – 3:49

7. "I Found That Essence Rare" – 3:09

8. "Glass" – 2:32

9. "Contract" – 2:42

10. "At Home He's a Tourist" – 3:33

11. "5.45" – 3:48

12. "Anthrax" – 4:23

2cmsweo.jpg

"Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts" - The Adverts (1978)

1. "One Chord Wonders"

2. "Bored Teenagers"

3. "New Church"

4. "On The Roof"

5. "New Boys"

6. "Bombsite Boy"

7. "No Time To Be 21"

8. "Safety In Numbers"

9. "Drowning Men"

10. "On Wheels"

11. "Great British Mistake"

I'll take "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" if no one else can fit it in to their nominations

Are soundtracks eligible? If so, I'd like to nominate the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. If not, then Frampton Comes Alive (1976)

I will obviously vote for GYBR, Jenny... :)

And I think Saturday Night Fever could fit perfectly in this list... after all, it's an album almost everybody has and one of the main Lps of the 70s...

I tend to agree, Saturday Night fever is completely representative of the '70's, more so than almost any other album released. That music was very specific to only the '70's (for good reason, but still ...) And for what it's worth, while I can't stand the majority of disco, I love that album.

I don't know... I guess it could count if the songs were written just for the soundtrack... is that the case here?

Taking into account what pinkstones said, it's obvious that the songs were released elsewhere. But, as with Live albums, we never said the songs had to be written specifically for that album. I would tend to want to include it, but I'm going to leave the decision up to Farin, since I'm probably not going to around too much this week.

As with the Live & Greatest Hits thing, I honestly don't know. Does that album appear on any other lists of "greatest"? I think that would be a good way to check eligibility.

Eagles Greatest Hits 72-75 is also considered one of the landmark albums of the decade, not only because of the "all killer, no filler" nature of the release, but because of it's massive sales swing. While the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever is a great album (and much like the Eagles album, I own it on vinyl), it's no different than said album because it's a compilation of songs taken from other sources.

Farin said live albums were fine, but compilation albums were not. I would consider any soundtrack album that has music not specifically written for that movie on it, as a compilation. By that I mean, it's not a score. A score can have lyrical songs along with instrumentals but all those songs were written specifically for the film and can't be found on any other release.

That's just my $0.02.

Digital Dream Door has SNF at #41 on their list of greatest rock albums of the 70's, which doesn't include any greatest hits. That album has many original releases on it as well, including Stayin' Alive.

Edited by Guest

Taking into account what pinkstones said, it's obvious that the songs were released elsewhere. But, as with Live albums, we never said the songs had to be written specifically for that album.

As Lucky said, we'll agree with Martin's decission...

I'd say SNF could be an exception to the rule. As MC mentioned some of the songs were initially released on the album. Though it is a compilation it is, for all intents and purposes, mainly a Bee Gees album. Also, these songs were compiled for the more artistic purpose of supporting a movie (and it is a rare instance when those two mediums blend so successfully) rather than just to make some money throwing together a bunch of past hits. Greatest hits albums by definition should be consistently, well, great, but a great soundtrack is by no means a common occurance.

Furthermore it was that influential at least in terms of bringing disco/dance music into the American mainstream in the late 70's and also being the definitive representation of said genre, time and place. (Though I would disagree with the generalization that it is representative of 70's music as a whole.)

Personally I don't care for it (and probably wouldn't vote for it), but considering its significance, success and artistic achievement I think we could bend the rules this once.

Shawna, could you live with it being nominated?

I could live with it. I might even vote on it. But I do believe there's merit to the argument that it could be seen as a compilation, and opens the doors for future disgruntlement. Not, mine, understand. I prefer to live my life in a calm state of gruntlement. But there are those who find the need to go around disgruntled and whatnot. I'm related to one such... grunt.

Awww, not all disco is bad. Some of it is really good, if you move away from the producer-driven stuff and get into artists like the Bee Gees and Gloria Gaynor and Thelma Houston. There's a lot wrong with disco, don't get me wrong....but just like any genre, sometimes you have to go hunting for the quality stuff.

and I'll just abstain from voting for it and save my 10 votes for Good albums. :P

:thumbsdown: disco

:laughing:

I'll agree to whatever the rules are :content:

And now that I think about it...maybe it should be allowed because "Let It Be" was nominated and the above quote pretty much says it all...Lots of good music in this :headphones:

Edited by Guest
optional

What a debate I started! Really, it doesn't matter to me much if it is nominated or not. I owned it as a child and liked it, but it's not like I am emotionally attached to it. I was merely asking if it was eligible, and seeing that it's not, it's OK. I will rescind that nomination and only have "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" as a nom.

There, debate over.