The Songfactors' Choice Top Albums of the Decade: The '70's

Lucky

Kenne, I'm not sure that a greatest hits album is eligible. While I agree with you, and in my opinion that was the Eagles very best all-time album, it is in acuality a compilation taken from several other albums. A long time ago, in a Top Ten thread when we did the best albums of all time, greatest hits albums were not allowed ..... See here and in fact I had nominated the very same album that you did.

Can I get some thoughts on this subject? I'm torn. :P

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Greatest Hits albums should count, to be honest. I love that album as well, in fact I own it on vinyl....I just think compilations like that are unfair because they're essentially "all killer, no filler" and puts other albums at a disadvantage artistically. And in the end, for me anyway.....the artistry is what matters. There's no artistry in putting the biggest selling singles from each album one album and then releasing it.

My two cents, take it for what it's worth.

You should have left that one to me and my hidden Elton John related SF identity :shades:

I had that one all ready to nominate myself and changed my mind at the last minute. There was a couple by Elton I was considering :D

I don't know if that argument holds water, because to me, greatest hits albums contain previously released singles, compiled on one record, in the same exact form that made the song a "great" hit. Live recordings, while they maybe previously released songs (not necessarily though) can be essentially very different songs (arrangements, etc).

I'm still not totally disagreeing Kenne. I'm looking online for criteria used elsewhere. Wiki's best selling albums of all time include everything (including holiday albums), but selling isn't exactly what this is about.

Let me check with my partner in crime, Farin as well ok? Let you know by tommorrow? And I would stil like opinions, because honestly on this, I don't know. Pinkstones, thanks for yours.

Edited by Guest

I say no to greatest hits but yes to live albums. Greatest hits are just singles/fan favorites thrown together. A live album has songs that have already been on other albums, yes, but they are different in their live interpretation. An album should only be eligible if it presents something new: new songs or new (live) versions of songs.

Greatest hits albums are compilations of more than 1 studio album.

Live albums are usually a snapshot in time of a certain band. Usually taped over a night or weekend at the same venue. The band chooses to play live whatever it wants... hits, clunkers, artistic expression of new material that's about to be released and their current interpretation of older songs.

Here's what digitaldreamdoor uses as a critieria for it's 1970's best albums of the decade.

" Criteria: - These Albums are ranked, giving equal consideration for their impact, influence, immediate & lasting popularity, and acclaim from critics & musicians.

(This list does not include 'Greatest Hits' albums.) "

So I agree no greatest hits and live is ok.

:cool:

Frank Zappa-Sheik Yerbouti

Released March !979

Side One

I Have Been in You

Flakes

Broken Hearts Are For A$$holes

I'm So Cute

Jones Crusher

Side Two

What Ever Happened To All The Fun In The World

Rat Tomago

Wait A Minute

Bobby Brown Goes Down

Rubber Shirt

The Sheik Yerbouti Tango

Side Three

Baby Snakes

Trying To Grow A Chin

City Of Tiny Lites

Dancin Fool

Jewish Princess

Side Four

Wild Love

Yo Mama

I'll wait about my second one...Just because of the issue about "Live"

Please not The Wall. One, I don't want to vote-split since I've already nominated the Floyd and they did better work before that anyway.

lol, I meant my first nomination by the Clash is a double album. I'm anti vote-splitting too. Thought I doubt the Wall would take away from Darkside much.

I don't know if that argument holds water, because to me, greatest hits albums contain previously released singles, compiled on one record, in the same exact form that made the song a "great" hit. Live recordings, while they maybe previously released songs (not necessarily though) can be essentially very different songs (arrangements, etc).

I'm still not totally disagreeing Kenne. I'm looking online for criteria used elsewhere. Wiki's best selling albums of all time include everything (including holiday albums), but selling isn't exactly what this is about.

Let me check with my partner in crime, Farin as well ok? Let you know by tommorrow? And I would stil like opinions, because honestly on this, I don't know. Pinkstones, thanks for yours.

Like the majority of the users, I agree ;)

I think it's pretty well been decided for this go-round, as well as future ones, that live albums are eligible, but greatest hits albums are not. Pretty much for the reasons stated above. Funny, that this hasn't come up before, but there you go.

Obviously there are tons of great albums left that could be nominated, some that haven't been mentioned at all, but again, there you go. We can't get them all .... with the plethora of great albums from that decade, maybe we'll have to revisit the '70's at some point. A '70's Part Two, with the winners of this go-round out of the running. Who knows?

For clarity, I thought I'd post a list of albums "officially" nominated (TheOtherShawna indeed :shades: ) .... :laughing:

Sticky Fingers - Lucky

Led Zeppelin IV - Lucky

London Calling - The Clash - MC_Kenne

Who's Next - Who - BlueAngel

Tapestry - Carol King - skybluesky

The Stranger - Billy Joel - skybluesky

Ramones - Ramones - BlueAngel

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd - pinkstones

Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen - pinkstones

Moondance - Van Morrison - bluesboy

Rumors - Fleetwood Mac - Lea

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Lea

Trans-Europa Express - Kraftwerk - Farin

Aqualung - Jethro Tull - cs1987

Close to the Edge - Yes - cs1987

Live Rust - Neil Young - Laurie

Songs in the Key of Life - Stevie Wonder - Peaches

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye - Peaches

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Laurie

Morrison Hotel - The Doors - TheLizard

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek and the Dominos - Viaene

Rocks - Aerosmith - TheLizard

Horses - Patti Smith - edna

Transformer - Lou Reed - edna

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkle - Dappled

Live at Leeds - Who - phil

Allman Brothers At The Filmore East - Allman Brothers - phil

Alive - KISS - JayMaier

Second Helping - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Shawna

Night Moves - Bob Seger - Shawna

Sheik Yerbouti - Frank Zappa - chutzpah

Sad Wings Of Destiny - Judas Priest - chutzpah

Let It Be - The Beatles - Bertrand

Pearl - Janis Joplin - Bertrand

That's it. Please look it over & make sure I've got your nomination(s) correct. There are some of you that still have another pick and there are a couple of SF'ers currently on vacation that may want to participate, so everybody use those opportunities well. ;)

EDIT: see there? Bertrand came along to help us out ... thanks a lot Bertrand. :P;)

Edited by Guest

Eek, edna don't vote yet! That was just the list up to now .... nominations are open for a while yet, so the others might still be nominated. Hooray! :D:P

I'm sorry, if that was confusing, me posting a list. I was worried the actual nominations were getting confused, etc.

Edited by Guest
sorry!