The Thin Blue Line

Shawna

It represents the line that stands between the bad guys and us, and those that wear it protect those that don't and keep us safe so we can sleep at night.

Today one of the line was shot and killed, and I'm using a thin blue line in my avatar to honor the fallen. He had a wife, a 2-year-old daughter, and a 2-week-old son. He himself was only 29. It's a very sad day when we lose one of our own...

Police Officer Travis P. Murphy

Phoenix Police Department

Arizona

End of Watch: Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Biographical Info

Tour of Duty: 4 years, 6 months

Badge Number: 8474

Incident Details

Cause of Death: Gunfire

Date of Incident: Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Weapon Used: Gun; Unknown type

Suspect Info: Apprehended

Officer Travis Murphy was shot and killed when he confronted a suspect who had fled the scene of a shots fired call earlier in the night.

Officers in a neighboring precinct responded to a report of shots fired. When they arrived, the perpetrator had fled, but they transmitted a description of the suspects vehicle over their Department radio. Several minutes later dispatchers received reports that a man was seen attempting to hide a vehicle under a tarp at a vacant home. Officer Murphy, along with several officers, responded to the scene and started searching for the man on foot.

Officer Murphy encountered the suspect and was shot. Other officers immediately placed him in a patrol car and took him to St. Joseph's Hospital, where he succumbed to his wounds a short time later.

The suspect was taken into custody after being found hiding in a nearby shed.

Officer Murphy had served with the Phoenix Police Department for four and a half years. He is survived by his wife, 2-year-old daughter, and 2-week-old Son.

Agency Contact Information

Phoenix Police Department

620 W. Washington Street

Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 262-7626

This is very sad news and it terrifies me to hear about it in my own (somewhat) backyard. My heart goes out to his wife and kids who will never know who their father was or the bravery and courage he stood for to serve and protect his community. R.I.P.

To be honest, I'm somewhat more unnerved when a Police Officer is killed by a criminal than when someone is killed in Iraq or Afghanistan.

The Marine, Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Guardsman knew they were joining during a war, and if any of them didn't think that they would end up in the sandbox, they are, simply put, ignorant. We all know the dangers of war, and we all made a conscious decision to voluntarily serve despite the dangers.

A police officer, on the other hand, shouldn't have to wake up and worry if someone will shoot at him when he goes to work.

My prayers go out to his family. I just hope his death wasn't in vain.