Rage Against the Machine lead musician boycott against Arizona

TheLizard

You deport them, they will come back. Fine them for all the tax revenue they've ripped off and put together some sort of legalization plan for those that are already here like the one Senators Schumer (D) and Graham ® have proposed that already has the support of the President.

Which is why I agree with you that the system is broken. The broken system creates an incentive for these lazy criminals to make their way back. If they were serious about taking care of this matter, it would've been done long ago. If the employers were levied large monetary fines per offense, they'd be wary of hiring illegals. Govt. assistance should require proof of legal residence. Any agency found to be breaking that law would lose funding. Lastly, children of illegals (i.e., their anchor babies) would retain their parents' citizenship status.

No worthless fence, no amnesty, and very little incentive for illegals to come here and destroy living standards.

interesting how the majority of the remarks I've heard opposing this law have come from people who don't live in Arizona.

Quite frankly, I don't give a f*ck where it is. I'm willing to give my life for AMERICANS to live in America. They way I see it, they don't pay taxes. Which means their paycheck has no part in the money that I make to keep the enemies of this country off of their (unlawful) front porch. If they want to live here, go through the process that is required to become a citizen. That's all I ask of them. I could care less if they are Hispanic, Asian, Black, etc.

You don't pay taxes = Your money doesn't go to the government = The government doesn't give me the $2.25/hour that I earn by risking my life = You don't deserve the protection of the US Military.

You don't pay taxes = Your money doesn't go to the government = The government doesn't give me the $2.25/hour that I earn by risking my life = You don't deserve the protection of the US Military.

I have to agree about this...And it's not just people living in Arizona (other states too)

Wow,$2.25/hour... :o

"Thank you"

Wow. And that's for military service?

Out of curiosity what are the average wages in America? If I understand right, you don't have a minimum wage so I'm kind of wondering how low it would go.

This thread and all the attitudes in it are pretty difficult to understand for me being from an island country.

One thing you have to think about though, is that even if the laws change around immigration- say making it easier, businesses will still take advantage of immigrants- even if they're legal. I had a friend here from Peru who was on a valid work Visa, but because of the fact that his English wasn't great when he first came and that he needed a job to keep his Visa he was taken advantage of. His first three or four jobs would not give him a proper contract, they paid him under the table so that they could pay below minimum wage and avoid taxes, and one of those jobs tried to make him pay them a $3000 "bond" before they would give him a contract. Everything could have been legal, but it wasn't because they just wanted cheap labour.

It's not a massive problem here, and I didn't know of it until I started making friends from South America, but it still is an issue. In America everything is on a way bigger scale. The government can say yes to immigrants or not to immigrants or they can put fines in place, but at the end of the day businesses are after money and they are reliant on cheap labour to maximise their profits- if changes are made on a legal front, businesses are likely to ignore them. Only a massive overhaul of attitudes would actually make a real difference.

Ok,An easy overview...My father came here from Ireland (legally) Now this is according to my dad...83 now and mellower...This isn't word for word and my dad never really talks about anything

But...The way he explains it is a lottery...every year so many get to I guess enter the country... I'm not sure if it works like that anymore...

My dad says that over in Ireland they heard the streets were paved with gold... :laugh: But,once he got here (in NYC) it was cobblestone...I never really got along with him(still don't) Never understood his stubborness...talking and stuff... but he still thinks that the lottery system works

But,this is 80 years later...I like you guys and I thought I'd just let you guys know where I'm coming from about the immigration issue

Out of curiosity what are the average wages in America? If I understand right, you don't have a minimum wage so I'm kind of wondering how low it would go.

I'm pretty sure the federal minimum wage is something like $7/hour, but most states have state minimum wages that can be higher than that. Oregon's is something like $8/hour.

I heard today that Hall & Oates also cancelled their concert in Arizona because of the immigration bill.

"Oh, No! What will the people in Arizona do now?!"

"No Hall & Oates in concert?"

"They'll be heartbroken."

We have a local radio station where I live, called WKRZ.

They have a Dj who goes by the name, "Jumpin' Jeff Walker."

He has released a few local CD's doing parodies of songs as "Jumpin' Jeff Walker and the Wackjobs." They are funny.

He has come up with an answer to illegal immigration, sung to the tune of "This Land Is Your Land."

He calls it "This Land."

You can listen to it here:

Listen to "This Land"

Living in Oregon as I do, I have to sympathize with the citizens of AZ. The majority of people that comment on their new law seem to think it unjust. What I don't hear is a better solution.

Illegal Immigrants are a huge problem here and IMHO far to many of them here in Oregon do little more the break our laws and eat up our tax dollars by either mis-using our state aid system or sitting in our jails. It seems odd to me that someone that is not a US citizen can get Health care easily but I sure as hell can't.

With the attitudes I hear most of the time on the web, in order to appease the posters we may as well stop using our US dollars to prevent illegals from crossing our borders and just let them come on in and have their way with us. Then our country can be like theirs and no one will want to live here either.

I'm not saying all immigrants are of the criminal element because that would be untrue. Many are hard working, honest people, unfortunately many are not. Most of them in my area, are not. Sorry but I have a very bad attitude about this stuff.

The same generalizations you use to categorize a group of people are generalizations you can use to categorize people in general. Some people are bad. Some people are good. Some people work hard. Some people are free loaders. It's very easy to scapegoat outsiders, but violence and laziness are faults that are not limited to immigrants.

Thats true Tim but we have enough of our own criminals. Why do we need to import more?

I don't just mean the people swarming in illegally from Mexico. I mean illegals in general. I'm not saying every single one is a bad element, I'm just saying they are breaking our laws by being here in the first place.

How many other countries in the world allow people to sneak over their borders and not only let them stay, but support them while they do it?

They are helping to weaken our country and I'm sorry but I really resent it.

• 1 month later...