The Distant Evil Future Is Now Here

Tony Baloni

Sprint helped me write this song by sending me to a collection agency. So now I probably owe them royalties too. Anyway, here's my rough recording:

The Distant Evil Future Is Now Here

I remember summer was so much brighter way back then

It was never over, yet we’d do it again

Didn’t forsee the longing for the things we didn’t know exist

Like the touch of a woman, or spitting out the eucharist

I’m not ready for this, I’m just a kid

Out of place

With a 20 year old face

I don’t even recall signing up at all

Inherent beauty is now replaced by things I think

I can try to mute it with the sound of another drink

Farther from the magic, and somehow closer to the trick

The distant evil future is now here, and it makes me sick

I’m not ready for this, I’m just a kid

Out of place

With a 20 year old face

I don’t even recall signing up at all

Thanks for reading/listening!

Mr. Baloni;

It gets, for me, more and more difficult to imagine a non-evil future every day. And so I accept your petty complaints and was intrigued by the expression.

EDITORIAL OPINION

Our children are the most over-indulged, pampered, materialistically and technically wealthy children in history. They are given so much, but seem often desperate for just a little attention. A parent spoils a child because they can. And not completely (or even mostly) out of love. Guilt and selfishness also contribute to potential disregard of a child’s long term good for immediate convenience.

We are all distracted. There are just so many directions to go in. A person can be practically anywhere on Earth in less than a day. Or a person can be everywhere while never leaving the house. And yet so many seem to be lacking in any strong single purpose. It sometimes seems like 20 is the new 10 (btw I am a father of four; 22 – 20 – 18 and 4, so I speak from some experience). Many young people today have every tech toy plus are almost continually virtually network connected. They are crassly, massively pandered to constantly by marketers but seem sometimes very alone, afraid and poorly equipped to deal with the harsh realities (or even many of the inconvenient bumps) along the road of their adult life.

This has, probably, all been going on throughout all time. The anguished screams of alternating shock, rage and resent as little birds everywhere are pushed from their whole worlds i.e. little nests and the coddled come of age. And, so it may be the result of my own age, it seems louder today than ever before.

Tony,

I apologize now because I fear you may take this as a long rant against your work or you personally. It is neither. More just a long rant in general. Your lyric is well written. It could be about you personally or emblematic of a certain age adverse, youth obsessed, in many ways child like, quality of culture in a broader metaphoric sense. Of course, the child and the adult are the same. The same person, of a different age. But they are also opposites in many regards. Your writing seemed, to me, possibly accurate in a different way than written at points, too. For instance, you preface by making a giant corporation the symbol of adult evil in a childishly innocent, for the most part, world.

Following, the bewildered and beleaguered youth (“a 20 year old faceâ€), seems very dazed (but still drinking) by some kind of very grown up reality. He pleads allowance as excuse to his youthful naïve indiscretion by reminding of the all-condoning nature of young Innocence, now spoiled by a rude imposition of responsibility.

Back to the preface, when the party being cheated (the company here) attempts to be restituted, the prefacer judges them “evilâ€. In this way the cheater becomes an innocent victim and the company is labeled the convenient villain.

Also, in your very clever line about magic and tricks; might it not be that the ‘trick’ pulled was in childhood? An unrealistic indulgence lavished, mainly for diversion, creating the illusion of ‘magic’ and thus, temporarily, rendering the subject practically unable to behold and claim the trick of the real “magic†of responsible adulthood. Again, maybe all this is just a part of what old people have been saying to young people forever.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked your tune! I really did.

Edited by Guest
Saying 2 much, I know!

Wow, thank man, I really appreciate that you put so much into interpreting this. That's just the thing though, there is no such thing as an objective right way to be responsible adult. It's all relative to your culture. And when you transcend you culture, and realize you don't wanna play this game because it's no fun and nobody wins in the end, you just wanna be happy for yourself. I was originally continue this song and have each verse be sung from an older perspective, but still not ever ready to truly accept the arbitrary rules externally imposed on his own existence. And the last verse was going to be about not wanting to accept your impending death.

But that would've been too much work. Its just not fair =p

Thanks for that write up! I'm glad you got so much out of it =)