Teach your children well

_jr_

My kids like alot of my stuff. You should hear them sing Dobie Gray's 'Drift Away' at the top of their lungs in the back seat of the car. Priceless.

They also have all their own music. Hillary Duff, Avril Lavinge(sp?), about a half dozen of those Kidz Bops cds. A whole lot more music than I had when I was 10, that's for sure.

Thinking about it, I feel pretty good, because I realize I've handled it in the same way my Mom did. She always let me listen to what I wanted to, test my musical wings, while at the same time, instilling a love of Motown (her favorite) and other music she listened to.

In that aspect, I feel I'm a pretty good dad. Letting my kids find out who they are, as far as musical tastes. I don't care for some of it, but it's not about what I like.

Kudos to you RJ - taking the kids to se GM - that'll set 'em in the right direction!

I remember my Mom was always playing records - unfortunately they included Tony Orlando / Elvis (the schmaltzy stuff) / Bobby Vinton / Carpenters, however there was some redemption with CCR / Loggins & Messina / Neil Diamond so she had some good influence (and I actually own the Carpenters Best of double set). My Dad on the other hand, was a huge old-school country fan. The 8-track in his truck was a continual loop of Tom T Hall, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Don Williams, etc etc. Obviously as a kid I detested any and all of that mostly because of the dictatorship attitude that he held in regard to what we could or could not hear in his presence. And now that I've grown up I love Willie and some select others. I did manage to get my Dad to eventually listen to and begrudgingly admit that he likes Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Oak Arkansas, Elvin Bishop and some other southern oriented tunes.

And of course as I've grown and my tastes have evolved, his have as well. He and his wife perform cracker folk music at various festivals and old timey gatherings.

What a long strange trip.....

• 4 weeks later...

my parents didnt really listen to music, i think they did when my brother was little though. so basically, i grew up listening to what my brother (11 years older) listened to, "borrowing" his cds and all. things like eric clapton, the doors, pink floyd, david bowie...

unfortunately, our younger sister, who is now 13, listens to the likes of britney spears and justin timberlake... i have tried but failed, and i find it so weird that there are people here that are her age and listen to cool music. any advice? maybe she'll grow out of it...

My dad's into Neil Diamond, Bruce Springsteen, a little bit of Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Neil Young ect.. When i was really little I hated it, but it really reminds me of him now when I hear some of these artists songs.

And my mom was into Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Lenny Kravitz (this shows you how young i am and how young my mom was when she had me, haha)Oh and she really really liked Queen too, she used to blast Bohemian Rhapsody in the car.

The only thing that influenced me from my parents would be the Neil Young and the Queen stuff...nirvana is alright, but i stick to the older stuff like The Who, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Cream, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Lynryd Skynryd, Styx, KISS, blah blah blah, i could keep listin' them.

:doh:I forgot Aeromsmith! My mom totally got me hooked onto them, and i've like them for as long as i can remember. My first Aerosmith cd was Nine Lives (one of their newer albums) and i have proceeded backwards in their discography from there haha.

I think my music rubs off on my mom a bit now too, what she liked when she was young is what im liking now, so she's remembering all the old songs she used to love! haha :rockon: :drummer: :guitar:

My kids (whenever that might be) are gonna have the world's greatest artists available to them at all times, just how it should be :thumbsup:

Hopefully they will grow to love KISS as much as I do, but I know the chances of that happening are very very slim!

Seriously, kids should listen to whatever they find happiness in as long as its not dance, trance, pop, rave, rap, jungle or house. ::

• 2 months later...

i have younger siblings - much younger siblings, whom are 9 and 6, who still listen to anything that has a good beat - hence they love rap and pop. mostly britney spears, unfortuantely.

My brother has a ccd player, so i constantly burn him cds with good music. if they grow up listening to main stream music, i kill myself in shame.

as for parents, my mom loved queen. and i, recently have been stealing queen cds from my friends and ripping them into the computer. every time i burn a copy for myself, she insits that i burn a copy for her too. mom has good taste. :bow:

My mum had music on all the time when my brother and I were little. She was really into ABBA, The Bee Gees, The Hollies, The Village People, Elton John, Bryan Ferry, Dusty Springfield, Queen, The Seekers, Normie Rowe, Stevie Wonder and Roy Orbison.

Dad listened to The Beatles, Cat Stevens, The Beach Boys, The Byrds, Rod Stewart, Bread, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Dion, The Monkees, Neil Diamond, Simon & Garfunkel and Donovan.

Mum hates most of the stuff dad likes, though they both love The Eagles these days. When I was little mum used to put on her ABBA, Bee Gees & Elton John records and I would put my leg warmers on and dance around the lounge room :o:)

I still love ABBA and the Bee Gees :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow:

My mum had music on all the time when my brother and I were little. She was really into ABBA, The Bee Gees, The Hollies, The Village People, Elton John, Bryan Ferry, Dusty Springfield, Queen, The Seekers, Normie Rowe, Stevie Wonder and Roy Orbison.

Dad listened to The Beatles, Cat Stevens, The Beach Boys, The Byrds, Rod Stewart, Bread, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Dion, The Monkees, Neil Diamond, Simon & Garfunkel and Donovan.

Mum hates most of the stuff dad likes, though they both love The Eagles these days. When I was little mum used to put on her ABBA, Bee Gees & Elton John records and I would put my leg warmers on and dance around the lounge room :o:)

I still love ABBA and the Bee Gees :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow:

Katie, that would explain your great knowledge about music!!! Tell your parents they did a good job!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :thumbsup:

I´m also a fan of ABBA and Bee Gees... as well as the Ramones!!!! :headphones:

Most kids have a phase known as the "I'm trying to be cool so I'm listening to whatever everyone else is listening to"-phase ;) lol I had one ;)

I'm 15 and I can say that about 98% of what I listen to is my dad's music...which is classic -- Led Zep, Eagles, Blue Oyster Cult, and so on...real music ;) can't stand the rapping anymore -- plus, it's not allowed in my house anyway...

Hmm ;) lol

My parents were children of the 50's. I was surrounded by old country artists like Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Marty Robbins, Hank Williams Sr. But, they also liked Harry Belafonte, John Denver, Ray Charles Otis Redding, Cat Stevens and loved Elvis. The first record my Dad bought me was a Chuck Berry compilation. Berry's guitar 'did' something to me. I loved the sound of it. And I found an old Little Richard album of theirs and that screamy falsetto wail made my big toe shoot up in my shoe. Mom always loved Freddy Fender, and I find I like him more now than I did when I was a kid. Because they loved country so much, there was always a country FM station on, so artists like Charlie Pride, Charlie Rich, Tammy Wynette, Crystal Gayle, Dolly Parton, etc. were always on. In the mornings, it was CKWW AM 580. And if you were to use say, KaZaa and enter in AM Gold, all those artists were on. I live in Windsor Ontario which is only a couple of miles from Detroit so Motown was always playing somewhere. Then on October 31st, 1976, I saw Kiss on the Paul Lynde Halloween special and I haven't been right since. :rockon:

Ken.

having an italian background...both sides, grandparents came from italy, so my parents listened to Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, etc.....as a teen i didnt like that music at all, but now that I'm older...it's ok to listen to once in awhile, i guess i'm still a rocker even in my early 40's :shades:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yeah its pretty crazy what happened to me. My parents grew up in the late 60s/early 70s, complete music prime. Yet, they dont like the music at all. My dad likes it a bit but not quite..he likes the eagles, and some dire straits, CCR, etc. But the rest, he either finds too simple or too hard. My mom thinks everything is terrible except Queen. I cant quite explain how i got into rock, but i did. I dont like anything else except reggae and alternative, but other then that, i dont like it. I love every kind of rock, hard, soft, experimental, whatever. I love the classics, led zep, stones, etc. Yet, my parents hate all of it. Somehow though, their hate makes me just love it TWICE as much.

Laura, 13

My Dad was a big Bob Dylan/Beatles fan and my Mum liked her Everly Brothers, Stones and southern boogie. If you want to see fast ironing done with a smile, slam on the Molly Hatchet.

My kids don't like the music I play, but do like the radio on in the car. Whenever a 'chune comes on with a dirty phat breakbeat (so I've had it described to me by a youth), they cry "crank up the bass, Dad". I have to do it to keep the kids sweet you know....

Regards