Teach your children well

_jr_

I haven't seen this subject in here, so I'll ask it...what music did your parents listen to when you were a kid, that you still listen to today?

For me, my Mom always loved Motown, so I have a pretty extensive collection of that. I'm not ashamed to admit I also have almost everything John Denver ever did, because my Mom had it on alot, as well.

My Pop, however, says music starts and ends with Born to be Wild, by Steppenwolf. He also likes 'We Gotta Get out of this Place' because they sang it almost every day in Viet Nam

My Gram, rest her soul, said the last good song ever written was "Sh-Boom"

Anyone else?

My dad loved big band and jazz. He had his own big band in the late fourties and they played quite a few gigs. As he reached his 20's, he played jazz. He paid his way through college playing in bars. He played the piano up until 6 months before his death with a bunch of other semi pro guys his age. They always had a great time when they got together, which was monthly. They got gigs too. We had a Dixieland band play at his graveside service.

My mom liked the same music my dad did, but also liked The Beatles and Simon and Garfunkle.

My dad is responsible for my blues and Willie Nelson fascinations. Mom got me into the Beatles and Janis Joplin.

They both love Stevie Ray Vaughan - I still remember my Mom crying when he died. And they're both into all kinds of classic rock. Pretty cool 'rents, as far as musical tastes go.

Though my parents and I don't quite share the same tastes in music, my dad first got me interested in the Who, Elton John, Supertramp and Peter Frampton (though he is more into Styx and Boston).

My mom, inadvertantly, introduced me to Led Zeppelin (she is more into progressive rock like ELP).

Both, however, I could say turned me on to older rock music so I'm totally thankful despite some of our differing opinions.

:headphones:.

Considering my age, my parents music and my own are very different. Mom was into Engelbert Humperdink :sleepy:, but also into Tony Bennett, :coolio:. When I was very young I remember singing "Blue Velvet" and The One-Eyed One-Horned Flying Purple People Eater together. My Dad however, being a farmer, was responsible for my love of early country,ie Hank Williams Sr., Patsy Cline, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, and Buck Owens :guitar: The last three were mainly because we lived in Bakersfield CA as did they. Also a lot of the old bluegrass and Grand Ole Opry Stuff. What is special to me, is the music that I have passed to my kids. They went through Guns n Roses, Nirvana, Insane Clown Posse, Pantera, rap, all stuff that is ok but not necessarily enduring, and have settled back into the classic rock and classic country that I love so much. I hope I Taught My Children Well. ;)

I have no children (that I know of), but I have two nephews who, when in my car, get steady, heavy doses of the Stones, Kinks, Kiss, Cheap Trick, and The Who, and occasionally some Guns 'N Roses. They listen to other rap and hardcore, and that kind of stuff, but they are quickly becoming Stonesheads. They have no choice. Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be rappers.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Well when I was about 8 or 9 my family went on a road trip, so my dad gave me some tapes to listen to on the way, so I wouldn't be totally bored.

Now up until this point the only music that I had ever heard was classical, but this new kind of music was...... different the sound just 'moved' in a way that Bach never could of, it was brilliant.

Anyway those tapes were

The Beatles-White Album :bow:

Bruce Springsteen-Greetings From Asbury Park NJ.(so awesome)

Eric Clapton-Slowhand :guitar:

and

Nirvana-In Utero :coolio: :headphones:

My Dad is a musician. He has been in a band since I was born (I even traveled with the band until I was 3 years old)and he has always played "oldies". So I grew up listening to: The Beatles, The Zombies, The Hollies, CCR, Led Zep, Beach Boys, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Everly Brothers, and some other bands that I know songs from but don't know half of the names :laughing:. I still listen to all of this music though.

So...He taught me well. ::

I' think I may be a bit too old for this forum (who knows) Anyway here goes: My father was in the Scottish male voice choir, My uncle was a violinist in the Scottish National Orchestra. But my earliest musical interests were smashical , not classical. My earliest memory of an album that caught my attention was a Ray Charles album. Luckily my parents brought Beatles albums into the house, and I have been a Contemporary music fan & Musician for almost thirty years

My Dad liked Big Band, Jazz and Classical. Mom liked Pop and Big Band. I like it all. Now my son digs to Motown, Classic Rock and some Pop (along with his contemporary music like Dave Matthews, et al). I think he's beginning to like some Jazz, too. He can't dance like his old man though. Kid's rhythm is all messed up. LOL!

• 4 months later...

My parents used to listen to Simply Red, Luther Vandross, The Commodores, Alison Moyet, Stevie Wonder, Queen, etc.

I guess its stick as I still like pretty much all of the above.

They'd never dream of putting on a CD containing KISS, Sisters Of Mercy, Journey, or in fact any soft/heavy rock. Maybe some classic rock but to be honest I can't think of anything like that I've heard. Dad liked the Beatles and the Eagles though.

My parents listened to Billy Vaughan, Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass and The Ray Coniff Singers. Unfortunately all of those albums were involved in a horrendous accident when i tossed them onto the Garden State Parkway like frisbees. What a loss.

Meanwhile I have tapes of my kids singing Beatles classics like Yellow Submarine and Bungalow Bill. (Pronounced Bumbalow by my then 4 year old son). I also took them to a free concert in a park about 2 miles from my house. It was a free show headlining Gov't Mule. These kids are learning rock and roll. :thumbsup: