? about file attachments in private topics

MindCrime

I just now noticed that files can be sent to another member of this site via private topic. Acceptable file extensions include: zip, pdf, txt, and pictures.

My question is, is it possible to send an mp3 via compressed zip file?

If so, is anyone willing to test this out with me? :)

I'd be happy to try it out a little later MC. But, I don't think you can send Mp3's that way. I say that because I have filed shared with a few of the members here and it was done through email.

Two of ppl I shared with or who shared with me, were mods. And they would know if doing it through pt is possible ;)

I have to try and lose this headache right now but I'll be back later :D

You can post this sort of link, Martin has posted it for me on the boards: http://live.goear.com/sst/mp3files/25082006/ba2d3eef240810c12e219beb30ac5f5f.mp3

In my mac, the option "Save as" simply leaves an mp3 file in my desk.

My question is, is it possible to send an mp3 via compressed zip file?

Sure it is, you could also simply rename the file "example.mp3.txt" and you could send it... the only problem would be the size limit on the file which would make it impractical for such a use :)

EDIT: okay, I just saw that the size limit is now 2.86 MB... the last time I checked it was around 500 kB.

still dunno if it's much more useful though :)

Edited by Guest

I tried it out with Lea and I was able to open it and listen to it, but as Martin said, there is a size limit that is around half the size of an average MP3. I suppose it's possible to compress a low quality audio file into a zip folder and send it that way.

I suppose it's possible to compress a low quality audio file into a zip folder and send it that way.

You can try it, but normally mpeg files (like mp3 is one) are quite compressed already so I doubt you'd get more of a reduction with an additional zipping. :)

Anything less than 320kbps doesn't sound good (IMO)

I'm okay even with 128kbps, even on my car's thousand watt amplified system, but it really depends on the kind of stereo you are playing it on. There is a shortage of quality with standard 128 or 192.