DISCO TOP 20

I'm feeling reckless and taking the plunge. I said I would and here it is: blind-fitter's pick of disco classics from the 1970s.

"I Feel Love" - Donna Summer Just the best disco / dance record ever.

"You Make Me Feel Mighty Real" - Sylvester Livens up those dull parties.

"Strut Your Funky Stuff" - Frantique Where I first came across the phrase "Sho'nuff!" Still guaranteed to get me off the wall and on the floor.

"Car Wash" - Rose Royce Intro sampled by Nerve Rack on "Peni's From Heaven"

"Street Life" - The Crusaders Classy jazz-funk which really deserves better than to be lumped in with most disco fodder. So I apologise.

"In The Bush" - Musique Great stuff.

"Spacer" - Sheila & B. Devotion An all-time fave of mine, which I nominated in last weeks SF Choice Top Ten. It bombed, naturally.

"Supernature" - Cerrone Sci-fi electro disco. Way ahead of its time.

"I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper" - Sarah Brightman & Hot Gossip A guilty pleasure. a deceptively great record, in so many respects.

"Le Freak" - Chic Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah FREAK OUT!!!

"Yes Sir, I Can Boogie" - Baccara You know what? If I watched youtube clips of "Yes Sir I Can Boogie" once a day, every day, I wouldn't be half so crotchety. They bring joy to my heart. :)

"Black Is Black" - La Belle Epoque

"From New York To L.A." - Patsy Gallant Great stuff.

"H.A.P.P.Y. Radio" - Edwin Starr Uplifting, classic disco. Is Edwin Starr in the Hall of Fame? Cos if he aint, he chuffing well ought to be.

"Shame" - Evelyn "Champagne" King

"Que Sera Mi Vida" - The Gibson Brothers Would you like some cheese with that, m'sieur?

"Going Back To My Roots" - Odyssey

"Dance Yourself Dizzy" - Liquid Gold Don't ask me why I love this one; it must be because I'm English and weird.

"Let's All Chant" - Michael Zager Band

and last, but probably also least:

"I Love To Love" - Tina Charles Only kidding. What's not to love?

And there you have it. That's me out of the closet.

"Last Dance" by Donna Summer is a very evocative composite picture of the 70's disco scene; when lonely singles donned glitzy "uniforms" and learned synchronized movements, seeking acceptance and companionship all the way up to the final opportunity. Another definitive song of the rituals of disco is "You Should Be Dancing" by the BeeGees.

I've always liked "Burning Inferno" by The Trammps too.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice list. There are many good ones not included on your list, some that were only heard in clubs and didn't get much air play back then.

One song which I consider my favorite from the Disco era and rarely heard is Dancer by Gino Soccio.

Other songs I would include on my list are:

Born to Be Alive - Patrick Hernandez

Come To Me - France Joli

Dance, Dance, Dance - Chic

Dance With Me - Peter Brown

East To West - Voyage

Love and Desire - Arpeggio

Got My Mind Made Up - Instant Funk

Hard to believe these songs are all over 30 years old. Just looking at these lists makes me want to go back to the days I wore my wide collared shirts, European cut suits and platform shoes.

Then again, maybe not. LOL

Rock The Boat - Hues Corporation

Rock Your Baby - George McCrae

You Should Be Dancing - The Bee Gees

I just love the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever

I'll Be Around - The Spinners

I've seen this song classified as disco, soul and R&B.

Kung Fu Fighting - Carl Douglas

I also like Love's Theme by the Love Unlimited Orchestra, Disco Inferno by The Trammps and Right Back Where We Started From by Maxine Nightingale

also, really great pick with the Crusaders song. they actually had some really awesome music in the 60s as well. One of my favorite jazz groups.

also, didn't realize you posted the Gibson Brothers track as well. it deserves two mentions though, what an awesomely cheesey song.

People tend to diss disco a lot, but the genre really did have a lot of talented musicians and songwriters. Plus it was pretty much the foundation for every (non-rock) pop movement that happened after the 80s. My theory is that the huge "disco sucks" backlash of the 80s was caused by homophobia.

Edited by Guest