EARTHQUAKE!!!

MarcM

Sat through a 7.2 earthquake that was centered in Baja California, Mexico, about an hour ago. It lasted about 25 seconds and was a roller! There have been lots of other sizable quakes around the area that WERE NOT AFTERSHOCKS, BUT THEIR OWN QUAKES!! There was even one in Sacramento about 400 miles to the north, a 5.2, about 11 min after the 7.2. This is shaping up to be an interesting Easter! Anyone else feel it? Lucky and Blues Boy must have felt it worse than I did. Or even Shawna and Kenne in Arizona...

7.2 centered around Mexicali, but we also had one a bit closer, West/Soutwest of Julian. We were rockin' and rollin' that's for sure. Kind of freaked me out, it's the strongest I've felt as an adult, since I've moved back here. :P

I was at work and as soon as I saw the corn jumping up and down and I looked up to see the lights swinging and everybody rushing outside... so did I. It didn't last very long. I've been through lots of quakes. The scariest was in 1971.

:cool:

Be really careful going out of a building during an earthquake. It is not recommended, actually, because the exterior parts of the building, like the facade and chimney, can fall on you. In fact, that is how one of the two that died in this earthquake died. Of course, if you have heavy stuff falling on you inside.......

Of course, if you have heavy stuff falling on you inside.......

If I lived in SoCal I would be dead or badly injured right now. I have a huge mirror in front of me on the comp that is loose and would've fallen on me during the quake. Here in AZ, we just felt a slight vibration for a couple minutes, like if somebody had set amplified sub-woofers on the ground..

Scariest earthquake I've been in was in Latin America. Since there's virtually zero infrastructure over there, there were a lot of dead people after a 6.8. This last one here in SoCal was the longest I've ever felt, though. I remember the Northridge one, which was also long... this one felt twice as long. Funny thing was, I was expecting it to get worse; it felt so anti-climactic :cool: