The Songfactors' Choice: Top Albums of the Decade - The '60'

Lucky

Very good albums nominated so far. It will be tough to choose.

Here's my two cents.

Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You - 1967.

This is from Allmusic:

When Franklin left Columbia for Atlantic, producer Jerry Wexler was determined to bring out her most soulful, fiery traits. As part of that plan, he had her record her first single, "I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)," at Muscle Shoals in Alabama with esteemed Southern R&B musicians. In fact, that was to be her only session actually at Muscle Shoals, but much of the remainder of her '60s work would be recorded with the Muscle Shoals Sound Rhythm Section, although the sessions would actually take place in New York City. The combination was one of those magic instances of musical alchemy in pop: the backup musicians provided a much grittier, soulful, and R&B-based accompaniment for Aretha's voice, which soared with a passion and intensity suggesting a spirit that had been allowed to fly loose for the first time.

Tracks

Respect - 2:27

Drown in My Own Tears - 4:07

I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You) - 2:51

Soul Serenade - 2:39

Don't Let Me Lose This Dream - 2:23

Baby, Baby, Baby - 2:54

Dr. Feelgood (Love Is a Serious Business) - 3:23

Good Times - 2:10

Do Right Woman, Do Right Man - 3:16

Save Me - 2:21

Change Is Gonna Come - 4:20

Respect [stereo Version][*] - 2:28

I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You) [stereo

Dr Feelgood ( Love Is A Serious Business)

I Never Loved A Man... -

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howlin' Wolf ~ Howlin' Wolf (1962)

HowlinWolfRockinChair.jpg

Trax:

1. "Shake for Me"

2. "The Red Rooster"

3. "You'll Be Mine"

4. "Who's Been Talkin'"

5. "Wang Dang Doodle"

6. "Little Baby"

7. "Spoonful"

8. "Going Down Slow"

9. "Down in the Bottom"

10. "Back Door Man"

11. "Howlin' for My Baby"

12. "Tell Me"

a famous and influential blues album, often referred to as "The Rocking Chair album" because of its cover illustration depicting an acoustic guitar leaning against a rocking chair. 223 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. It was named the third greatest guitar album of all time by Mojo magazine.

I nominated this because I love Howlin' Wolf's music. :bow:

Edited by Guest

Ok, I'll get my act together.

1. Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music - Ray Charles (1962)

Regarded by many critics as Charles's best studio album, Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music has been considered by several music writers to be a landmark album in American music. The album's integration of soul and country music bent racial barriers in popular music, amid the height of the African-American civil rights struggle. In the process of recording the album, Charles became one of the first African-American musicians to exercise complete artistic control over his own recording career. In 2003, the album was ranked number 104 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Tracks:1."Bye Bye Love" – 2:12

2."You Don't Know Me" – 3:16

3."Half as Much" – 3:28

4."I Love You So Much It Hurts" – 3:35

5."Just a Little Lovin' (Will Go a Long Way)" – 3:29

6."Born to Lose" – 3:18

7."Worried Mind" – 2:57

8."It Makes No Difference Now" – 3:36

9."You Win Again" – 3:31

10."Careless Love" – 4:01

11."I Can't Stop Loving You" – 4:14

12."Hey, Good Lookin'" – 2:14

2 Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Neil Young & Crazy Horse

On his second album, Young recruited three musicians from a band called The Rockets: Danny Whitten on guitar, Billy Talbot on bass guitar, and Ralph Molina on drums. These three took the name Crazy Horse (after the historical figure of the same name), and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (May 1969), is credited to "Neil Young with Crazy Horse." Recorded in just two weeks, the album opens with one of Young's most familiar songs, "Cinnamon Girl," and is dominated by two more, "Cowgirl in the Sand" and "Down by the River," that feature lengthy jams showcasing Young's idiosyncratic guitar soloing accompanied sympathetically by Crazy Horse. Young reportedly wrote all three songs on the same day, while nursing a high fever of 103 °F (39 °C) in bed.

Wikipedia

Tracks:

All tracks written by Neil Young.

1."Cinnamon Girl" – 2:58

Neil Young - electric guitar, vocal; Danny Whitten - electric guitar, vocal; Billy Talbot - bass; Ralph Molina - drums, backing vocal

2."Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" – 2:26

Young - electric guitar, vocal; Whitten - electric guitar, backing vocal; Talbot - bass; Molina - drums, backing vocal

3."Round & Round (It Won't Be Long)" – 5:49

Young - guitar, vocal; Whitten - guitar, vocal; Robin Lane - guitar, vocal

4."Down by the River" – 9:13

Young - electric guitar, vocal; Whitten - electric guitar, backing vocal; Talbot - bass; Molina - drums, backing vocal

5."The Losing End (When You're On)" – 4:03

Young - electric guitar, vocal; Whitten - electric guitar, backing vocal; Talbot - bass; Molina - drums

6."Running Dry (Requiem for the Rockets)" – 5:30

Young - electric guitar, vocal; Whitten - electric guitar, backing vocal; Bobby Notkoff - violin; Talbot - bass; Molina - drums, backing vocal

7."Cowgirl in the Sand" – 10:06

Edited by Guest

Jimminy Crickets!! I'm sober, so it's disturbing.

My second pick will be Let It Bleed...just kidding.

My second pick will be.

A Girl Called Dusty - Dusty Springfield (1964)

A Girl Called Dusty was the debut album of British singer Dusty Springfield. It was released in the UK on Philips Records in 1964.

Tracks:

1."Mama Said" (Luther Dixon, Willie Denson) - 2:14

2."You Don't Own Me" (John Madara, David White) - 2:30

3."Do Re Mi (Forget About the Do and Think About Me)" (Earl King) - 2:20

4."When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" (Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Jr.) - 3:07

5."My Colouring Book" (Fred Ebb, John Kander) - 3:03

6."Mockingbird" (Inez Foxx, Charlie Foxx) - 2:34

1."Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) - 3:07

2."Nothing" (Frank Augustus, Bob Elgin, Clarence Lewis Jr.) - 2:29

3."Anyone Who Had a Heart" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) - 3:11

4."Will You Love Me Tomorrow" (Gerry Goffin, Carole King) - 2:40

5."Wishin' and Hopin'" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) - 2:56

6."Don't You Know" (Ray Charles) - 2:53

Edited by Guest

what albums still need to be nominated?

I don't know what your 60's tastes are, if even at all, so I can't really recommend anything.

Velvet Underground has been nominated.

Un-nominated artists that you might like:

MC5

Sonics

Easy Beats

Surfaris

Canned Heat

Just one particular rock opera released in 1969 by one particular British rock band that one particular 23 year old Songfactor (who I believe is currently overseas) is a very big fan of. ;)

... An album that I was going to nominate, but left it for said absent 23 year old member and really, any list of Top '60's albums would be sorely lacking if said album was missing from it ...... :shades:

Said 23 year old member hereby nominates

2nv9ls0.jpg

Tommy -- The Who (1969)

I don't think it needs an introduction anymore, least of all from me, since I've nominated this album in about 95% of all the past specials :shades:

But it's really really good music made by people who are/were really really good at what they do and you should really really vote for it and put it really really high on your lists.

But it's really really good music made by people who are/were really really good at what they do and you should really really vote for it and put it really really high on your lists

and we'll really really give it consideration :laughing: