Name this Songwriter

Carl

Apart from a certain physionomical resemblance to Elvis Costello, the first think that struck me was what a plonker he looks. Is there anything remotely entertaining about a guy of his age (or any age for that matter) giving a casual middle-finger salute for the beneft of the camera? "Wow, you must be such a badass mutha..." :doh:

It's like Liam Gallagher, approximately 40 now, yet still cannot be photographed without brooding sullenly. Unless it's an unstaged photograph, of course, when he goes into his cartoon aggressive, flicking a V-sign mode. :doh: Grow up, you prat.

But I digress. I don't know who this plank is, but it occurred to me that Tim Armstrong of Rancid wrote a load of not-punk songs for the top pop artist Pink, which might well have achieved substantial commercial success. But I've no idea what Tim Armstrong looks like, so this speculative shot might be wildly wide of the mark.

This is Oliver Leiber, and he wrote Paula Abdul's hits "Forever Your Girl" and "Opposites Attract." Something about the incongruity between those songs and this photo appealed to me.

The image of Oliver flipping us off is just for kicks - the ones we use in our interview represent him better, especially the one with the dog.

Oliver did the second ever recording session with Paula, who was a wreck after working with LA Reid and Babyface, who told her she sucked. It was Oliver's first big break as well, so he was very gentle and did what was needed to get Paula sounding good.

Many of you will recognize the last name, and yes, he's the son of Jerry Leiber of Leiber & Stoller.

Check out the Interview with Oliver Leiber.