The Beatles and Pete Best

Billy20801

It's been mentioned numerous times. George Martin (producer) felt Pete's drumming wasn't up to par and told the other lads to find a replacement. Even for their first tune (Love Me Do), George Martin brought in a session player (Andy White). There were two versions recorded - one with Ringo and the other Andy (with Ringo on tambourine). The former version was released for the first singles and the latter is the version on the album AND later issued singles.

Also, Andy played drums on 'P.S. I Love You' (w/Ringo on maracas).

I have also read somewhere (could of been at bookstore or possibly here at home - can't recall what and where the source) that Paul was a bit envious over Pete's looks. In summary, Pete was the better looking of the lads and would of got all the girls (and attention) and so, Paul didn't want him in the band.

A friend Of mine saw Pete Best in concert and after the show asked him why he split. His answer

"We were'nt getting along well at the time"

I've also read that when Best was sick, Ringo would step in. They grew to like Ringo more than Pete...... so they fired him.

• 5 weeks later...

the Beatles actually gave Pete Best a substantial payback by way of compensation/apology

I posted a site above which is a Q & A with Pete Best. What I get from that session is Pete Best was not compensated until ten songs he played on were added to the Anthology 1 CD. Hit the link in my post above for a review of that Q & A session.