R.I.P. Mark Linkous aka Sparklehorse

Levis

This is sad news. Despite having three treasured Sparklehorse albums, I've never really known much about the fella. It didn't take a lot of reading between the lines to recognise that he was a guy who had his troubles with mental well-being, but still....

Only last week, I listened to the "Good Morning Spider" album, then, on Wednesday, used Sparklehorse as a reference point on SF (as a comparator for the Mojave 3, in the "Recent CD purchases" thread), and included a Sparklehorse track from "VivaDixie...." on a compilation CD for a friend's birthday.

Mark Linkous was a great talent; I regret it took me so long to come round to realising this. My brother did me a tape of the first album "VivaDixieSubmarine TransmissionPlot" back in the late 90s, but I only partially liked it at the time, and eventually lost the tape. FF to a couple of years ago: I saw the same album, on cassette, in a charity shop for 50p.So cheap, you can't lose, so I decided to give it another chance. This time, I fell in love with the album, played it over and over, chased up the remainder of the discography: bought "Good Morning Spider" and "It's A Wonderful Life" in one swoop.

Here are some of my favourite Sparklehorse tracks:

"Rainmaker"

"Heart Of Darkness"

"Homecoming Queen"

"Some Day I Will Treat You Good"

"Spirit Ditch"

"Cow"

"Pig"

"Sick Of Goodbyes"

"It's A Wonderful Life"

You can tell by the calibre of his collaborators - PJ Harvey, Tom Waits, Radiohead, David Lynch - that Linkous was an estimable figure with a lot to offer. Such a shame. :(