The Who's future in doubt as Pete Townshend's tinnitus returns

Farin

The veteran rockers are reportedly considering calling it a day after their guitarist's recent hearing problems

[smaller]Sean Michaels | guardian.co.uk | Monday 22 February 2010 | link[/smaller]

The Who's medley at Superbowl XLIV may have been their last-ever performance. With Pete Townshend suffering from a recurrence of tinnitus, he and Roger Daltrey are reportedly considering putting the band to pasture.

"If my hearing is going to be a problem, we're not delaying shows – we're finished," Townshend told Rolling Stone magazine. "I can't really see any way around the issue." Townshend's medical fears have already lead the group to cancel their spring tour and scheduled appearances at the Coachella and New Orleans Jazz festivals. They now have just one remaining date this year: a concert at London's Royal Albert Hall on 30 March, which may not happen either.

The Superbowl half-time performance would be a strange finale for the Who. Just 12 minutes long, it was perhaps the biggest show of the band's five-decade career. With a reported 150m viewers, that's a lot of people tapping their toes to Baba O'Riley.

Unfortunately, Townshend's ears are still ringing weeks. After decades of playing and listening to loud music, Townshend suffers from both tinnitus and partial deafness. Although his symptoms have receded in recent months, Townshend's problems re-emerged after the Superbowl, while working on his musical, Floss.

Townshend, 64, is now working with a new audiologist, recommended by Neil Young, another rock'n'roll veteran. The audiologist has recommended an in-ear monitor that will hopefully prevent further damage, and so long as the situation doesn't deteriorate further, Townshend plans to try it out at the band's March gig. The concert, a benefit for Daltrey's Teenage Cancer Trust, will see the Who play Quadrophenia in its entirety. "It's a good test of Pete's hearing," Daltrey said. "We won't know until we try."

The thing is...playing loud is good :coolio: but it's the sound...And "The Who" are just a loud band...It's ok to be loud,and I've seen lots of them...but going deaf? And tinnitus happens...I play...Loud too...but I wear my ear thingie's... still hear a ringing in my ear's for a few days...maybe I should go see my ear doctor? Hopefully "Neil Young" will help "Pete Townsend" out...And lots of others... :rockon:

I process sound a lot better at medium volume, but I've seen lots of musicians, DJs and audio techs gradually lose their hearing because they crank up their monitors. As the hearing goes, they turn it up louder, which makes the hearing go faster...

One guy told me that the first frequency to go is right around the range of a woman's voice, which meant there was something positive that came from it... he couldn't hear his wife. :D

A few years back I went to see Robin Trower play at a smaller club in New York City. although his guitar was loud, the sound was clear, not over-powering or painful...however, his drummer was torture on my ears. Whenever I tried to get closer to the band I was repelled by the "over the top" bullet-like sounds off the drums. He may as well have been pounding directly on my eardrum.

I saw "Motorhead" in a smaller venue in Austin a few years ago...I've been to 1000's of concerts but that one literally rattled my bones...had a headache,backache and my kidneys hurt...the sound was good but they started off loud and just kept turning up the amps...I'd go see them again but it will have to be an outside show

also Ritchie Blackmore with "Rainbow" I think one of the lights didn't work...and he let out so much feedback...I was back a little bit but those people up front really got a blast of hard guitar feedback (white noise)...then the show just went on with Blackmore (still mad)really played too loud (but good) :guitar: