Wild Beasts

Levis

!!!

I'm just back from seeing them!

They're from Leeds, I considered sticking around to ask if they knew some guy called blind-fitter, but figured that might be a bit of an odd question.

The Crayon Fields were the opening act. I don't know much about them but I did know one song that they played that was my favourite (The Mirror Ball). They're going to be playing with The Pains of Being Pure at Heart at the same venue but I'm not gonna go (surprisingly enough). They're very mellow and alt-pop and pleasant - your typical gang of hipsters who can play instruments and sing. Their frontman was channelling a younger Graham Coxon imo.

Filler music included MBV's Sometimes and Blonde Redhead's 23 in succession which left me going LEAVE MY IPOD ALONE!!!11!!

And then they took the stage and they were magnificent - so immense, they gave every song their all and were bathed in sweat from the get go. If you've heard them you know that their 'all' is a LOT. They were lovely and they were charming and our frontmen had these perfect classically trained voices that were just meant to be together and surely same-sex marriage is allowed in the world of vocal chords because these two should never be apart.

The set lasted about 2 hours opening with The Fun Powder Plot (that I was shocked to learn I knew all the words to) (and am listening to right now) making me lose my bet to myself that they'd open with Hooting and Howling, but wow Fun Powder Plot was a FANTASTIC opener. Have you heard it? WHY NOT?!?! Here. I sang along with this ecstatic grin on my face despite the very unhappy subject matter (fathers who have their children taken away from them) - the performance was just so beautifully crafted, I couldn't help it!

It was other-worldly, really - their performance of the title track off Two Dancers was, again, beautiful - so dark and morbid yet so strong. Thay closed with 'The Empty Nest' and 'Cheerio Chaps Cheerio Goodbye' which left me sulking in my corner because I knew that was their last song and did they HAVE to rub it in because I really didn't want them to leave. No encore - but that's because they played the entire second album and a substantial part of the first - THEY ONLY HAVE THAT MANY SONGS.

Going away music was - get this - Kiss From A Rose. We were all 'wtf??' initially. "Seal? Seriously?". and then... and then we found ourselves singing along. HOW DO I KNOW THE WORDS??? I asked mi friend. All around us groups of hipsters were breaking into cries of 'BAYBEH I COMPARE YOU TO A....' etc. and so was he. We couldn't help ourselves. "That's it," he said. "When I start doing shows again..." "no Seal!" I said. "YES SEAL!!!" He said "Everyone knows Seal!" - so.... yeah, that was it. Nice night :)

They're from Leeds, I considered sticking around to ask if they knew some guy called blind-fitter, but figured that might be a bit of an odd question.

It might indeed.

I understood Wild Beasts came from the North West of England, somewhere near the Lake District. Had no idea they had relocated to Leeds.

Going away music was - get this - Kiss From A Rose. We were all 'wtf??' initially. "Seal? Seriously?". and then... and then we found ourselves singing along. HOW DO I KNOW THE WORDS??? I asked mi friend. All around us groups of hipsters were breaking into cries of 'BAYBEH I COMPARE YOU TO A....' etc. and so was he. We couldn't help ourselves. "That's it," he said. "When I start doing shows again..." "no Seal!" I said. "YES SEAL!!!" He said "Everyone knows Seal!" - so.... yeah, that was it.
You've lost me here. Are we to believe that the friend with whom you attended this gig turned out to be Seal all along? And you hadn't even noticed until he started singing? And, as a result of this encounter, he's gonna get back on the road again? :confused:

No no no - Seal isn't into Wild Beasts, I don't think.

No, this friend wants to get back into performing in the city and was, like me, fascinated at how a song as cheesy as Kiss From A Rose was such a hit with these indie kids. And with us, too. So he thinks it might be a good idea to have Seal as pre/post-show music if/when he returns to the stage. He makes lovely lush electro-shoegaze sounds, so I hope he follows through with this getting back to performing. The incongruity of Seal blasting from speakers in cloudy little venues like this one - and being so warmly greeted - is pretty amusing.