The Definitive Overated Thread

Batman

Good list, Ant, good list. I can tell that you're like me, that you are a fan of a band's more obscure tunes - not just the ones you hear on the radio a million times.

My top fifteen Stones songs are some of the slightly obscure:

(1) Hand of Fate

(2) One Hit (to the Body)

(3) Sympathy for the Devil (live version off "Flashpoint")

(4) Gimme Shelter

(5) Monkey Man

(6) Respectable

(7) Dance Little Sister

(8) Star Star

(9) Rocks Off

(10) Stray Cat Blues

(11) Can't You Hear Me Knocking

(12) You Can't Always Get What You Want

(13) When the Whip Comes Down

(14) Jumpin' Jack Flash

(15) Sister Morphine

Honorable Mention going to: Some Girls, Neighbors, Salt of the Earth, Paint It Black, Out of Control, You Got the Silver, Before They Make Me Run.

Here's my top fifteen Beatles songs (just in case you're interested), many of which might also be considered slightly obscure:

(1) Let It Be

(2) I Saw Her Standing There

(3) Maxwell's Silver Hammer

(4) Help

(5) Don't Let Me Down

(6) Helter Skelter

(7) Nowhere Man

(8) Octopus's Garden

(9) Rocky Raccoon

(10) Ballad of John and Yoko

(11) Taxman

(12) You Never Give Me Your Money

(13) While My Guitar Gently Weeps

(14) Come Together

(15) The Night Before

Honorable Mention: Golden Slumbers, Norwegian Wood, Across the Universe, Get Back, Happiness is a warm Gun, All You Need is Love, Magical Mystery Tour.

Talk to ya later. Enjoy the lasagna.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

I can't stand the pseudo-intellectual drivel that is emo music. I think the bands seriously just get together, try to think up as many contrived, "deep"-sounding words as possible, and then do their best to string them together into coherent sentences. All my girl friends seem to dig on these emo bands, and praise their lyrics and how deep they are, and how they really hit home...but that's because they're all about the same topics: getting dumped and being lonely. I think some emo bands have a lot of potential, which is why I wish their material were more original. In summary, emo music as a whole is grossly overrated, just like Ricky Williams. Yeah, that's right...I went there.

Here's my top fifteen Beatles songs (just in case you're interested), many of which might also be considered slightly obscure:

Oh yeah- I'm always curious of one's likes and dislikes. :D

(1) Let It Be

(2) I Saw Her Standing There

(3) Maxwell's Silver Hammer

(4) Help

(5) Don't Let Me Down

(6) Helter Skelter

(7) Nowhere Man

(8) Octopus's Garden

(9) Rocky Raccoon

(10) Ballad of John and Yoko

(11) Taxman

(12) You Never Give Me Your Money

(13) While My Guitar Gently Weeps

(14) Come Together

(15) The Night Before

I have never been a fan of #10 and #13. In my Beatles' guitar lessons over at WN ---> Lesson #2486: 'The Beatles' Riffs, Tips & Babble I included 'The Ballad of John & Yoko' because it was requested quite a few times (in my IMs). It's funny how music pleases our palate. Other than that, you have a great list :thumbsup:

If you think your list is obscure, check out mine ::

NOTE: In order at time of posting.

1) Your Mother Should Know

2) A Day in the Life

3) Rain

4) Strawberry Fields Forever

5) I Need You (George's best tune EVER!!)

6) Ask Me Why (their best ballad EVER!! and it's on their debut)

7) Norwegian Wood

8) Old Brown Shoe (George's second best tune!!)

9) I Want You (She's So Heavy)

10) Revolution

11) Don't Let Me Down

12) Hey Jude

13) I Should Have Known Better

14) She's a Woman

15) Penny Lane

16) Tomorrow Never Knows

17) And Your Bird Can Sing

18) Got To Get You Into My Life

19) She's Leaving Home

20) Dear Prudence

:guitar:

Ant and Sammy - I love you!! At last a couple of people who feel as I do about the Stones. Wild Horses was my first dance with my husband at my wedding. I won't go into lists- you've already mentioned most of what would be mine. Sticky Fingers and Get Your Ya Yas Out are probably my picks for best albums. I really like the best ofs(Hot Rocks, More Hot Rocks, and Forty Licks) just because there are so many of my favorites all together. I've seen them live every time they've played St. Louis. My daughter got me the DVD of their last tour for Mother's Day, sweet girl that she is(no flowers for me- give me the Stones). You should check it out if you haven't already. It's got them playing in the three different venues-clubs, stadiums and arenas. Different songs picked to fit each. Memory Motel played in the club venue sounds just like it should- smokey blues. They are the Ultimate rock band!

WINDY: My brother just got the SARSFest DVD from Toronto, from July of 2003. I didn't see it yet, but it only has about six or eight songs by the Stones. It also includes a couple from Rush, AC/DC, Guess Who, Flaming Lips, Isley Brothers, Sass Jordan, the Have Love Will Travel Band (Dan Ackroyd and Jim Belushi). And if you look real close, you might be able to see me about 0.5 miles from the stage, dead center (LOL). It was great though. It was hotter than the devil's buttcrack, but the music was great. AC/DC was phenomenal. I wouldn't say they were better than the Stones, but a couple of my Stoneshead friends said they were. You might wanna check it out. I think my brother paid 16.95 for it.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

A lot of new bands are overrated, such as Hoobastank & their song "The Reason", Joss Stone, The Vines, etc. They're not good artists, why is it at the top of the charts. I watched MTV & VH1 for over an hour earlier this morning & every single song on there was terrible, mostly just scantily sang repetitive chorus's & what sounds like fretless guitar strumming, but these are given high audacity.

Some of the best songs ever written were about getting dumped and being lonely.

why can't anyone write songs about being in love and being happy? true, there are a few, but it seems like all anyone writes about is being heartbroken! what about all the sappy love songs they wrote for their girlfriend/boyfriend while they were still together?! :doh: it frustrates me no end.

• 2 weeks later...