The Definitive Overated Thread

Batman

Anything IN MUSIC you think is overated can go in this thread.

Guitar Chords (the C chord particularily, and no, I'm not kidding when I say that)

High School guitarists in general (just play overated chords one after another)

Ywingie Malmsteen

"People of the Sun" by RATM

You see Batman, Malmsteen can't really be overrated if hardly anyone has heard of him........ I like his music.

Well, he's overated in the guitar world. For instance, crappy high school guitarists will try to make themselves seem like better and more knowledgable guitarists by saying something about Ywingie Malmsteen. A non guitarist will say "Who's that?" and the high school guitarist (I've heard this exact conversation) will say "You've never heard of him(surprised)!?! Well I don't blame you, he's more well known in the guitar world, he's kind of a guitar-god."

IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY! so angry I will put a frowning emoticon. ::

extreme frown! :beady:

Another thing overrated

'Synthesyzers'

If you use them right, then they can add to the song(like 'Baba O'Riley' and some 'Floyd')

but if you use them as the primary instrument, good God does it suck.

Pffthahaha! Truly, only bands like The Who and Pink Floyd can make synths overrated. The only Rock bands that truly know how to use them are Rush and Roxy Music. After that, virtually any SynthPop band ranging from NewOrder to De/Vision can easily trash the synth work coming from The Who and Pink Floyd.

What's over rated? Two words: Pink Floyd.

I wrote this in another post. Malmsteen is way overrated. I've seen him in concert, and what he does with his guitar is quite pedestrian. It's all in the effects he uses that makes him sound like he's really doing something impressive, but if you strip all that away, he's nothing special.

I'm not blowing smoke, either. I was 3 rows away from the guy. He played, at most, 1/2 dozen notes on his "big" solo, and then all he did was step on a bunch of pedals and got a bunch of different sounds. A fraud.

I agree with the quote about "Kashmir". I too think it is overrated.

I also think Elvis presley is overrated. But that's not what I'm here to tell you.

I REALLY think that Bob Dylan's "Blonde On Blonde" LP is overrated. "Sad Eyed Lad Of The Lowlands" is crap and isn't long enough to justify giving it an entire LP side to itself anyway.

Apart from it being the first rock double LP (which came first anyway, "Freak Out" or Blonde On Blonde"?) I really cannot see why it is regarded by rock scholars as so wonderful. It's nowhere near as good as "Bringing It All Back Home" or "Highway 61 Revisited", and at the length of a double record it just gets tedious with so many ordinary songs on it.

Nirvana is WAY overrated, in addition to Metalica.

Another one, guitar solos. I love em but I hear too many, and would perfer a piano or bass solo once in a while, and the guitar solo is all some people talk about if they don't know any lyrics or anything else in the song. Drum solos are great too, but they can get overrated, right now they're in between.

U2

Led Zeppelin IV (I, II, & Physical Graffiti are much better)

and here's what I've said back in July '03 at another site...

Derek & the Dominoes - Layla & other assorted love songs

Yep, all 14 tunes are masterpieces, considered worthy enough to be placed among the greatest albums ever.

riiiiiiiight

Pearl Jam - Ten

2 good tunes, 2 others that got tiring quickly ...

Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street

Love the Stones, but this album is way hyped. Too much filler, but does have a few great tracks, most notably "All Down the Line" & "Sweet Virginia."

Eagles - Hotel California

Again, an album considered highly for a great tune or two. HELLO ??

I personally don?t think anything is overrated per se. Overrated, to me just means that something I dislike, a whole bunch of other people think and say is terrific. But, what I think is great or not is my opinion, what others think is great or not is their opinion; neither of us can be proven right or wrong.

And how does one determine greatness anyway, especially in an art as completely subjective as music?

Anyway here are some bands/artists whose music (including albums and songs),IMO, is nothing special:

- U2 (Someone had the nerve to say they were the ?Beatles? of a new generation or something like that. Yeah, uh, dream on.)

- The Rolling Stones

- Elvis Presley

- Nirvana

- Metallica

- Madonna

Note: I am not saying that these musicians are untalented or not influential and I have nothing against them personally just that I don?t particularly enjoy their music and don?t see why it is so popular.

Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street

Love the Stones, but this album is way hyped. Too much filler, but does have a few great tracks, most notably "All Down the Line" & "Sweet Virginia."

I'm a huge Stones fans (there is no substitute). However, I agree that "Exile" is a bit overrated only because so many people say that it's the Stones' BEST album. I think they have a few better ones from start to finish (e.g. 'Sticky Fingers', 'Let It Bleed' 'Some Girls'). But there are more than 'a few great tracks' on "Exile". You forgot about "Rocks Off", "Loving Cup", "Shine a Light", "Ventilator Blues", "Happy", "Sweet Black Angel", and "Torn and Frayed". I think I'm still missing a couple, but you get the picture. It's a great mixture of hard rock and the blues that the Stones themselves were reared on. I absolutely love this album, and I make it a point to listen to it in its entirety every couple of months or so. I recommend everybody do the same. Rock on!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

I'm a huge Stones fans (there is no substitute). However, I agree that "Exile" is a bit overrated only because so many people say that it's the Stones' BEST album. I think they have a few better ones from start to finish (e.g. 'Sticky Fingers', 'Let It Bleed' 'Some Girls'). But there are more than 'a few great tracks' on "Exile". You forgot about "Rocks Off", "Loving Cup", "Shine a Light", "Ventilator Blues", "Happy", "Sweet Black Angel", and "Torn and Frayed". I think I'm still missing a couple, but you get the picture. It's a great mixture of hard rock and the blues that the Stones themselves were reared on. I absolutely love this album, and I make it a point to listen to it in its entirety every couple of months or so. I recommend everybody do the same. Rock on!

I'm pretty sure you didn't misunderstand me buuuuuut just in case ::

I too am a fan of "Exile on Main St." I also give it a thumbs up (we had the records when I was a kid). I only mentioned '2' songs that were my favs and didn't bother to name others.

My main point is (and you also noted) that it draws away the attention of their more thorough (and finer) albums, especially the one you've already mentioned, "Let it Bleed."

I would also like to add "Aftermath," "Goats Head Soup," and one you've already mentioned ("Some Girls").

As for 'Sticky Fingers', I would say 'Exile' is better.

:thumbsup:

BEATLEANT:

(In my best movie gangster voice): I mean you and your family no disrespect, sir. Myself and my family deeply apologize if we misled you with our intentions. I would be greatly appreciative if you would accept my peace offering of a homemade lasagna and two bags of gummi bears.

And I do commend your appreciation for the finer things in life ("Exile on Main Street"). But you gotta admit that the album is absolutely loaded with great tunes. It's only overrated compared to other Stones' albums. If not for the ones we both mentioned, "Exile" WOULD BE considered one of the greatest albums of all time And, in my opinion, "Sticky Fingers" IS the greatest album of all time. It has no less than four of the top 100 songs in rock history ("Brown Sugar", "Bitch", "Wild Horses", Can't You Hear Me Knocking"). And nearly every song on it is pretty awesome ("Sway", "Sister Morphine", "Dead Flowers", among others). I don't know if you've ever seen any of these songs played live, but they are amazing...all of them. ("Sway" I never saw live, but I would love to.) The influence and smooth guitar playing that Mick Taylor added to that group truly made them the "World's Greatest Rock 'N' Band". If there was any doubt up until that point, their string of albums with Mick Taylor on lead should have eliminated all doubt. When Mick Taylor quit (the putz), they did lose some of that great blues ability, but to this day they still use that same blues influence in their songs. They've never truly gone "poppy", and that's why they could even be considered a band with a cult following. They make records to please themselves and their legions of hardcore fans, and they still do a pretty damn good job of it. They're supposed to open another tour in the spring of 2005; I will go see that one, too. Rock on, my Beatle-lovin' friend.

miamisammy29

I would be greatly appreciative if you would accept my peace offering of a homemade lasagna and two bags of gummi bears.

I love lasagna and my son gets the gummi bears ;)

One thing that I love about music is other's likes and dislikes; opinions of what they feel are the band/performer's best output; etc.

Just because someone has different tastes, views, etc. regarding music to my own opinions never means I think any less of them, knowledge-wise or character alone. In other words, it's cool that you feel highly about 'Sticky Fingers' as for myself - I got tired of it long ago. IMO, some songs/albums/bands, etc. can last the test of time while others,... well, you know.

My one brother and I have been fans of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" for the longest time. I got sick of "Wild Horses" for years but now I can listen to it with ease. An old jam band of mine used to play "Brown Sugar." After playing it so much got a bit under (my) skin. I've always wondered how Keith can still play that intro to "Satisfaction" for the ga-zillionith time :jester:

Anyway, I'll just list my favourite RS tunes (in order!!)

1) Memory Motel (this tune makes 'Wild Horses' sound like ponies on a carousel :laughing:)

2) Street Fighting Man (studio or live version from 'Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out). And speaking of 'Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out', that's my fav album by them.

3) Midnight Rambler - live version off 'Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out'

4) Miss You

5) Dandelion

6) I Am Waiting

7) Beast Of Burden - I can listen (and play on the guitar) to that riff over and over and over...

8) Gimme Shelter

9) Angie

10) Mother's Little Helper

11) All Down the Line

12) Child Of the Moon

13) Sing This All Together

14) 2000 Light Years From Home

15) Dancing With Mr. D

:coolio: