On Broadway by The Drifters

rkawal

Are you sure the version you heard was by The Drifters?

A band called "LMT Connection" released a live album in 1999, titled Outta Control where they do a 9:00 version of "On Broadway".

That would be right around the time period you heard the song on the radio.

Check out the discography page from their website.

If you scroll to almost the bottom of the page, you'll see the album with links next to the song.

You can listen to the complete song.

Here is the link: LMT Connection Discography Page

There's also an automatic music sampler that plays at the top of the page.

Be sure to click the pause buton before scrolling to the bottom or it will continue playing while you're trying to listen to the song.

Thanks for your replies. I listened to LMT Connection mentioned above - it definitely was NOT it - We thought it COULD have been George Benson, but it sounded just like the Drifters. Did G Benson have a long version?

Not that it matters, but we were driving near Dillon, Montana when the radio station played the songs.........

I just heard back from a DJ in Montana - I thought that perhaps, by some small chance, they could have been the radio station that had the song on their record list. But he just referred me to the 5:20 minute Geo Benson version. Wasn't it either. Was there ANY other group that may have done ON BROADWAY and sounded similar to the Drifters?

A mystery to me!

From Wiki....

The song was a hit for The Drifters in 1963, reaching #9 on the Billboard Hot 100, and has been covered by many artists such as the Dave Clark 5, 1964, George Benson, Eric Carmen, Bobby Darin, Percy Faith, Tom Jones, Johnny Mathis, Gary Numan, Tito Puente, Lou Rawls, Buddy Rich, Paul Rodgers with Jeff Beck, Frank Sinatra, Sly & the Family Stone, Livingston Taylor, Neil Young, and Widespread Panic.

Some of those artists I have never heard before - do any of them sound like the drifters? Geo Benson is similar, but his isn't it - unless he did a live performance somewhere where he did a long version of On Broadway. The background music of the long version seemed the same (if my memory serves me) as their 'regular' song.