Grammys 2010

Carl

The Grammys want your eyeballs back, and the big categories this year seem to reflect popular taste more than critical acclaim. There might be some interesting internal memos.

I love the Song of the Year and Record of the Year categories, since it rewards excellence regardless of genre, asking us to decide if "Poker Face" is really better than "Use Somebody." It's like choosing between the Beagle and the Pug at the dog show.

Then there's Taylor Swift. Never has an artist so middle-of-the-road gotten so much heat. Her Titanic-like ability to tap into the feelings of teenage girls has made her immensely popular, and she serves as an alternative to anything edgy. Alicia Keys when she started out comes to mind, but Taylor seems a little more generic, so it will be interesting to see if the Grammy folks reward her. I have a hard time believing that "You Belong With Me" is the Record of the Year.

Without the benefit of Tivo, I can't imagine watching this show all the way through, but maybe they'll surprise me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who I want to win in the big categories:

Record of the Year: Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling

out of the nominees this is the only one I even sort of like. Definitely a guilty pleasure for me over the summer.

Album of hte year: No opinion, I avoided these albums.

Song of the year: Beyonce - Single Ladies. Not just a guilty pleasure, a truly well-made song. Beyonce's producers made a track that is reminiscent of older soul, but it also has a futuristic quality to it that somehow coincides really well with the retro-ness of it.

Best new artists: I haven't been able to make it through a full listen of Oracular Spectacular since 2008, but MGMT is a good band who deserves to get as big as they did, and it would be cool to see them win.

The Grammy's always reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons where Homer and his friends win for "Outstanding Soul, Spoken Word, or Barbershop Album of the Year" and he tries to give it as a room service tip but the guy throws it off the balcony hitting another guy who yells "Hey, don't throw your garbage down here." then throws it back up knocking Homer out cold. :D

Anyways don't care much either way, I saw an advert for it and the list of artists featured seemed more like a list of reasons to avoid it. And do they really need like 700 categories, kind of defeats the honour of winning a bit.

The only awards I've ever paid half-attention to are the Brits, briefer, way better nominees/performers, (with some indie and alternative in the main categories, and this year Animal Collective is up in the international categories) and only somewhat dedicated to the wasteland that is the American, and to a lesser degree other nations', mainstream.

Don't mean to be a downer, I just think there's plenty of music that better deserves some primetime stateside attention and most of what their offering isn't it. I do like Maxwell though, if I had to choose.

This year's show is so bad even Jeff Beck managed to underwhelm. Taylor Swift should never, ever attempt to keep up with Stevie Nicks again. Roberta Flack was just depressing. The Black Eyed Peas are so godawful they couldn't even keep to the rhythm of their own stupid song. The MJ tribute was so cheesy and gimmicky I actually laughed despite myself, and then got angry moments later when they felt the need to parade the kids around again. It seems like Slash only exists anymore to give modern pop artists some rock cred. Zac Brown and Leon Russell were okay. Beyonce is always good, and covering Alanis was kind of a cool-weird moment. Pink was just a weird-weird moment.

Blah.

The Grammy's always reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons where Homer and his friends win for "Outstanding Soul, Spoken Word, or Barbershop Album of the Year" and he tries to give it as a room service tip but the guy throws it off the balcony hitting another guy who yells "Hey, don't throw your garbage down here." then throws it back up knocking Homer out cold. :D

"Oh, WOW! a real Award! ... oh wait no... it's just a Grammy :P:/ (*throws away*)"

:D

Taylor Swift is a robot. Someone programmed that so-saccharine-I-want-to-puke acceptance speech earlier that day. Unfortunately, the Swiftbot's programmers spent so much time on attempting to perfect the girl next door personality, they did not leave enough memory in her processing system to program a decent voice.

Wouldn't Christine McVie have been a much more appropriate choice to sing with Taylor Swift? I have nothing against her lightweight Pop, but the combination of Taylor and Stevie Nicks clashed like peanut butter and licorice. Better to have McVie come on to sing "You Make Loving Fun" with her.

• 2 weeks later...

I have discovered I love Lady Gaga, I don't get the hate. She is such a SHOW, she's so outrageous, I LOVE seeing what her latest garb is - the imagination that goes into her outfits boggles my tiny mind. And it's not like it's a cover up for a lack of talent because she CAN sing. She's so meant to be a popstar, she deserves all the fame. The hair, the makeup, the clothes, the shoes, the accessories, the embellishments, there's so much care put into everything she wears - even the Kermit dress. And I LOVED that crazy pink dress she started the night with.

For me, I respect Lady Gaga as a singer. She has a voice. She also is an incredibly good piano player, I believe she is classically trained. But does she ever play piano in her songs? Not often. That bothers me. It bothers me that she would rather sell her image, the idea of her, rather than her talent.

That is what bothers me about Lady Gaga. She is far from talentless, I think she is merely a product of our generation. A generation that values image, specifically sexual image, over talent. Were this a few years back, she may be playing piano as well. Who knows? I mean, David Bowie sold his image, but he also had the talent to back it up. To me it seems like Lady Gaga wants to be the female, hip-hop David Bowie.

That bothers me...

That's just who she is - Lady Gaga is all about image first and talent second, and in the pop world image IS more important than actual skill. So for me it is quite the opposite and I admire the fact that not only does she completely pwn the pop world's idea of selling an image, but she also has the talent to back it up with. I like to believe that her exhibitionist tendencies are her taking irony to a whole other level - a subtle satire of the popular music culture.

I don't know. Lady Gaga just seems like a waste of talent to me. She never uses her talent, or rarely at least. Most of the music she creates is mindless dribble. She has so much potential and she just wastes it. At least, in my opinion. But what do I know? All the musicians I like are either dead, geriatric or unknown.