New Search System

Carl

We've integrated Google search on the main site. So, when you type something into the little search box (on the left side of song pages and near the top of the home page), Google will try to figure out what you're looking for. So, if you type in Bryan Adams, it will gather our interview with him followed by some of his songs.

We decided to try this instead of keeping "search by artist" and "search by title" separately, and you can still browse by title, artist, date or category. Google is so good at search these days that it can usually figure out what you're looking for based on whatever you type in.

Let us know what you think, and if there's any way we can make it better. To try a search, type something in the box on the Songfacts homepage.

I've enjoyed using the site for a couple of years to look up songs, their lyrics and interpreted meanings. However, I'm very disappointed not in the new keyword search for song titles. The previous alphabetical list was so easy to go through looking for what I wanted, but the Google listings not as easy for my purposes. Any chance of reverting back to the other listing?

But it has the huge advantage to work with non-exact matches!

what happened in the old system when you searched for "19th nervous breakdown"?

... "No results"

PS, the search results page needs a better (read: any) title though - in the moment it doesn't have one and thus shows the url, which is really not that pretty ;)

Edited by Guest

The main reason why I am skeptical on it (be it a minor one that primarily affects me and no one else) is that I use the search engine for the F&G thread (word association, a-z, before&after, etc) This will make cheating finding an answer a bit harder to do. I'm not against the change though.

The main reason why I am skeptical on it (be it a minor one that primarily affects me and no one else) is that I use the search engine for the F&G thread (word association, a-z, before&after, etc) This will make cheating finding an answer a bit harder to do. I'm not against the change though.

yeah, I guess for this particular issue it's not ideal... I think that's what Gina meant as well

on the other hand, probably 98% of all people who use the search function just want to find one specific song :)

Couldn't we have all three options?

I used the by letter or number option when I was getting the information for the facts.

Before, I could use the three options we had. The by letter or number was always my last choice because of all the scrolling..

I liked being able to just copy, paste and search. It would be great if we could have the old and the new. Then we'd have it all :D

yeah, I guess for this particular issue it's not ideal... I think that's what Gina meant as well

on the other hand, probably 98% of all people who use the search function just want to find one specific song :)

Okay, I confess, I do often use it for that purpose. If I had one particular song in mind, I usually went straight to Google. Still, I miss the nice, long alphabetized list. And even though not exhaustive, it was more complete and not just limited to a dozen per page of the most recently searched songs. Oh well, I will adjust. :)

I think we might be able to combine the Google results with what used to come up. Let me run it by Zhivko the coder and see what he can do.

And yeah, a title will probably help.

Thanks for the feedback, and please keep it coming.

I think we might be able to combine the Google results with what used to come up. Let me run it by Zhivko the coder and see what he can do.

And yeah, a title will probably help.

Thanks for the feedback, and please keep it coming.

I'm one of those who would rather go back to the classic search. I tried this new search, and I was very disappointed that some of the information that came up was definitely irrelevant to what I'm really trying to find. So, can we please go back to the old search?

• 2 weeks later...