What should we do about Artistfacts?

Carl

When we launched Songfacts back in 1999, we also launched Artistfacts as a place to find out information about the artists. Times have changed, and artist bios are now all over the web. Artistfacts is a good place for interesting tidbits about the musicians, but we'd like to turn it into something better.

We'll definitely give it a new look, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on what the site should offer. A few ideas we had:

YouTube clips

Photo galleries

Highlights of popular songs

Quotes from artist (if possible, from our interviews)

So, what do you think we should do with Artistfacts?

:help:

This topic should be pinned! :)

Go go go boys and girls! Shoot us out with your best ideas about what artistfacts.com should offer you regarding artists and bands. What would you like to have access to once you land on the page?

Don't make us put a prize for the ideas that make it to the end! Or maybe we should? :P

My favorite for now is:

Let there be a place where anyone can ask something about the artist/band.

For example:

I always wondered why Gipsy Kings have half of the band playing on guitars backwards.

Or

Why they came out so frustrated on the stage when they did the Kenwood House in London DVD recording back in 2007.

A time line of an artists career is something I would find interesting.

A lot of us are really into 60's and 70's stuff. It's cool to be able to see the progression of a group. Like Pink Floyd for instance. I know that kind of stuff is on a lot of other web sites but mostly on fan pages.

I don't know if that would be doable but it would be interesting.. A one stop reading center :D

Here is what we already decided the bare minimum for an artist/band. You guys and girls will take it to another level!

artist name - alias

band name

birthday / band formation date

picture gallery

video gallery

short band/artist bio

when it comes to bands you get additional information such as:

for the time period who was part of the band

and how long. Artist role in the band (vocal, lead guitar, drummer.. etc.)

website of the band/artist

news and tour dates feed (when applicable)

interviews we have related to band or artist.

songs and songfacts related to the band/artist

This is the minimum. Everything else will be your ideas and requests.

P.S Let's not make it "wiki-wannabe". Surely the main idea is to provide facts that aren't listed much or hard to be found. But there is nothing bad if we are able to put all this information in one place.

"A one stop reading center"

How about keeping it current by watching the Daily/Weekly top tens and scoping out facts for the most popular artists? Lady Gaga for e.g. is at ze top so would probably pull a fair bit of traffic.

note: I haven't actually checked to see if there are already Gaga artistfacts.

It's also important that it isn't all just pulled from wikipedia - the point should be that SF is a source for wiki and not the other way around so dispatch minions to go through interviews and articles and pick up artistfacts no one else has noticed.

It's also important that it isn't all just pulled from wikipedia - the point should be that SF is a source for wiki and not the other way around so dispatch minions to go through interviews and articles and pick up artistfacts no one else has noticed.

^ definitely this!

(also, where's your sneakers? I almost didn't recognise you ;) )