Songs or Artists you've discovered because of Songfacts.

Lea

Every day when I come to songfacts I start thinking of all the awesome music I have heard and learned about since I became a member here.

I was wondering what songs and artists you have learned about since joining that you feel you would have never been aware of but for SF. Who was it that made you a fan and what grabbed you about the music or artist?

This is my favorite one, Mensch - Herbert Grönemeyer and it was Farin that introduced me to it. I listen to it pretty much daily . It is in German of course and I don't speak German but I don't think there have been to many songs I've heard in my lifetime that moves like this one does. :D

My secound favorite would be one from

Viaene's PTT Je veux Nager - Arno I love the music and beat of this one. I think Viaene had told me it is sung in both Belgium and French? I could be wrong but its a very cool song. Don't listen to the cheesy English version tho because it kinda ruins it :P

I didn't really become a huge fan of these artists but the songs have become my top two favorites I was lucky enough to find here.

Others include Leonard Cohen thanks to Edna :bow: I had heard of him and the first song I ever heard by him was Suzanne many, many years ago. I love his lyrics. His music is kinda dark IMO but he is a fantastic artist. Another group that edna got me listing to more is King Crimson. Even tho I have been an ELP fan almost since they became known, I never really associated Greg Lake with them.

I also need to add Manu Chao, another Farin contribution by nominating "Bongo Bong", now I'm a fan of alot of his stuff.

I think 'Making Plans for Nigil came of BF's PTT and he was kinda enough to lead me to more great songs by XTC. I would never have heard of XTC if not for Mr. Fitter :bow:

I can thank Tim for 'Fire in Freetown' by K'naan. Remember, he played it on his radio station.

I will add more when I think of them but there are more of course.

What would your list consist of ? I know I'm not he only one that has more favorite artists and songs thanks to SF and the awesome members here :D

Off the top of my head: Strawberry Letter #23 by the Brothers Johnson, thanks to Lea.

It's now one of my favorite African-American songs.

Franz Ferdinand

Modest Mouse

I had heard these bands, but wouldn't have them in rotation on my car's ipod if it wasn't for this site.

Kasabian - from Seeker

Silversun Pickups - heard them from Fuse dish network, but Levis gets partial credit for me knowing them.

Badfinger - Laurie, I now love Day After Day and play it on the work station sometimes.

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - from Windy1

There are a various few from Farin, Bazooka, and Fitter and others as well.

Edited by Guest

off the top of my head...

Lucky takes me back to the midwest bands of the 1960's and '70's that sometimes got airplay on the west coast.

Thru Lucky, I enjoyed blind-fitter's Broken Family Band.

bazooka sometimes dredges up an old forgotten jem that we both obviously enjoyed in our youth.

:cool:

Well, I printed out the lists Blue Angel and Batman made of their favorite songs of 2009 and really enjoyed listening. I am now into 1901 by Phoenix....months after all you younguns, I'm sure, but ahead of many people in my generation.

"Chelsea Dagger" is one of my favorite songs now because of Farin talking about The Fratellis and posting their music.

Because of Peaches, I like that Michael Franti & Spearhead song.

Blind Fitter introduced me to The Jam

I'm sure there are a lot more that I can't remember at the time, but thanks to everyone for expanding my musical horizons!

Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers from Shawna, I knew who he was from the Refreshments and I've heard him around town, but she made me recognize him better.

I rediscovered the Roots, who I listened to a couple of years before joining this site, thanks to Seeker and Bazooka (?).

Bluesboy & others introduced me to some jazz I hadn't heard before in a thread many years ago.

There was a mid-70's song that Lucky nominated a couple months ago that I like, I can't for the life of me remember it, but it was probably the only song ever nominated by this band.

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - from Windy1
:shades:

You're welcome. :D

There was a mid-70's song that Lucky nominated a couple months ago that I like, I can't for the life of me remember it, but it was probably the only song ever nominated by this band.

Probably one of my favorite lesser known 70's "hippie songs". Pay attention, I might nominate it again. ;)

Mr Fitter got me into The Broken Family Band, and oddly enough Gillian Welch, who I knew, but appreciated much more after listening to some songs posted by him.

I've gotten loads of blues, rockabilly & doowop songs and artists from bluesy, bazooka & Joe and of course bluesy has introduced me more music in more different genres than I could begin name here.

Farin has introduced me tons of songs that I like, as have Tim and cs1987.

Oh yeah, Mudcrutch (from MC I think) who I should have known, and now love, and The Black Keys from Viaene I believe. And good lord, let's not forget Roger Clyne (thank you Shawna!). Who is actually that good. ;)

Edited by Guest
forgot some

I just couldn't remember all the songs and artists I discovered here. Uncle Joe helped a lot... :cool:

Batman, Blind-Fitter, Radhi with Kula Shaker, Martin, Crazy Don (reminded me of forgotten A.Alexander), Bazooka and so many great nominations, and Phil, and RonJon... Sue, Shannon, Kari...

Recently I dicovered Bill Callahan thanks to BF... :)

Actually, "Everybody here" Blind Fitter for "The Damned" Edna for "Lou Reed Berlin" "Thanks" Lucky for "Captain Beefheart" "Hot Tuna" and Uncle Joe for just a bunch of songs and info that I somehow forgot about...and as I said "everyone else" some songs and artists I never heard of...but "Thank you" everyone... :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow: :coolio:

Found them:

From a Dry Camel - Dust (i love this innovative music)

also, Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson (one I've heard of from a guitar magazine, but never really listened to.)

Oh yeah, Mudcrutch (from MC I think) who I should have known, and now love

Probably not me, I know I've mentioned them plenty of times before, as I love Tom Petty, but I've seen them mentioned and nominated by others like Laurie and Bazooka, etc.

• 4 weeks later...