Rick Springfield

Shawna

Full disclosure:

The day I talked to Rick, he was driving around in California talking to me on his Bluetooth; it is illegal to talk on a hand-held cell phone whilst driving in CA.

Since the reception left much to be desired, he decided to tempt the fates and switch to his hand-held. I, of course, being the law-abiding citizen I am, (not very)strenuously objected to his doing this, as it might result in a ticket for him.

The fates were in our favor that day. We had quite a conversation, he got no tickets, and I got to know Rick - the person. F-words, sarcasm, anger, sense of humor all intact.

Carl (The Big Songfacts Cheese) said the following in an e-mail to me (and I truly hope he doesn't mind my sharing):

"Did you not know how good this was, or did you just not tell me? Open with 'Jessie's Girl', which everybody knows, then you get him going on that beautiful story about the young girl, into his dark side, relationship issues, younger jerk self and fantabulous appearance on Californication. Brilliant."

I just love Carl. :grin: :grin:

Rick Springfield in rare form.

*gasps*

Sweet baby Jesus in the manger, I love me some Rick Springfield! Did you tell him he was the first concert I ever saw? Did you tell him I had my room plastered with all of his pictures from Teen Beat (even though he was in his 30s at the time)? Did you tell him that I love him now and will love him forever and ever and ever?

Well, did you, woman? :grin:

I love that Rick Springfield understands that he is deeply flawed, and is willing to express the frustrations so many of us feel. It's also clear that having jerk-like tendencies doesn't mean you're not capable of deep compassion, which is clear in his story about Sahara.

While Tiger Woods clings to an image of perfection, Rick goes for authenticity, which I respect him for.

Shawna did an outstanding job of drawing this out of him, and I really enjoyed it.