DEVO

Jimmy1104

Anyone catch DEVO's concert from Central Park on Saturday night on ABC? I remember DEVO did their rounds of clubs in the mid seventies but didn't make it big till New Wave caught on in 79 or 80 and they had the monster hit Whip It.

Watching this past Saturday night was pretty sad. They were a bunch of overweight guys in their mid fifties who sounded like a bunch of overweight guys in their mid fifties. (Looks like the drummer was a young guy though and not an original band member).

Hiya Jimbo.

It saddens me to see bands like Devo which, IMO, were innovative yet made some bad business decisions and basically didn't get what I think they deserved. It saddens me even more to see a band washed up.

I guess I'm glad I didn't see the show.

Oh, I finally got a good deal on Rose Red yet haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'll let you know how I like it as soon as I set aside four hours. I'm one of those who likes to watch a movie with no interruptions. Rose Red is a long one and will get my undivided attention.

You know Muzik, I was saying the same to my girl while we watched (in pain) the DEVO concert. I told her that they were perhaps the leader (definitely on the cutting edge) of New Wave considering they were around since 1972. They did alot of clubs until they hit it big. They mentioned during the concert they played at CBGB's in NYC back in 1976. Back then that was one of the biggest clubs around.

They did have a distinct style and it was lost in the concert I saw the other night. Their staccato movements were not there and when they attempted it, they seemed arthritic. If you recall the movie "Revenge Of The Nerds" where at the end they have a battle of the bands, the nerds basically copied the DEVO style with regard to movement.

The shame was I had just finished setting up surround sound in my bedroom on Saturday evening, put in Star Wars (1977) to enjoy with the new sound system and then caught DEVO's act. My ears were in tears because they hurt so bad!! LOL

Last note to you MUZIK....find a nice rainy evening (thunder will help the mood), get yourself a tin of popcorn and turn off all of the lights in the house, then enjoy ROSE RED and let me know what you think. I have not seen Storm Of The Century yet but plan to in the next few weeks since I start my vacation for a month after Tuesday night.