UPS driver fired for not delivering 'pot'

MindCrime

UPS worker says he was fired for not delivering pot

Sometimes a boss' orders can be a little too by-the-book, as a UPS driver who was fired for not delivering a package of marijuana found out this summer.

Former United Parcel Service driver Steven Mojica is suing the delivery company after he claims he was fired for not delivering a suspicious package that turned out to be marijuana, according to a Detroit Newsstory.

Mojica claims that a supervisor told him "he should have delivered the package, even if it contained illicit drugs."

Mojica, 41, had a next-day package from Arizona on July 29 to deliver in Pontiac, Mich. He held on to the four-pound package, which his supervisors considered theft and reported it to the DEA for suspected drug dealing, and fired him, according to his attorney, Mark Porter.

"It's nice to know UPS can guarantee delivery to drug dealers and fire employees that refuse to deliver their drugs," Porter told the Detroit News.

A UPS driver for 17 years, Mojica was worried he was in harm's way so he returned the package to his truck, according to the suit.

After being told by a supervisor to deliver it, even if it was illegal drugs, Mojica opened it and found what he thought was marijuana.

UPS had no comment to the Detroit News on the firing or lawsuit, but said that drivers can contact their local operations office if they are suspicious of the contents of packages they're delivering.

(a bit unrelated) there have been a number of weird firings in Germany in the past few months...

best example: an employee was instantly dismissed because he "stole" his company's power when he recharged his private mobile phone at his workplace... estimated damage for the firm: 0.0014 Euro¢ (0.0020 USD¢)

(the dismissal was later revoked though)

(a bit unrelated) there have been a number of weird firings in Germany in the past few months...

best example: an employee was instantly dismissed because he "stole" his company's power when he recharged his private mobile phone at his workplace... estimated damage for the firm: 0.0014 Euro¢ (0.0020 USD¢)

(the dismissal was later revoked though)

That is very stupid, they are only charging themselves more by having to go through the process of hiring another employee and training.

Wonder what caused him to suspect pot? I have to disagree with his opening of the package. He should not have done that. It's one thing to refuse to deliver it, but to arbitrarily open the package without the authority to do so is wrong.

He probably could smell it, they should have lined the outer packaging with something that would make it not so conspicuous, like baking soda & bleach powder outside of a ziploc bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Geez, dude.. hate it for ya! Are you jonesing out there??

ROTFLOL

Yeah. he probably did smell something suspicious..

Hey I do NOT blame him in a way.. anyone who's got the nerve to get UPS to deliver their pot to them, may also have the pineapples to pull out a gun too, if they wanted to...

i'd be scared too...

I must say I don't think too much of UPS service in general though. They will leave your packages out in the rain, when you've asked them to leave it at their office or under cover.

I've often been almost run over by UPS drivers too. Horrible drivers... I don't see that at all with the FedEx delivery drivers though.

Next time I'm jonesing.. I'll be sure to contact Fedex!! :P

Just kidding...

Don't need that stuff, though, I'm already high enough from the fumes of the traffic off the interstate! hehehehe

Well, luckily there's Fed Ex. They don't give two sh*ts about what THEY deliver. As long as you pay for it, they get it there overnight.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

Yes, I always send pot, crack and heroin through FedEx. And I receive it at my place as well. Never had any problem... :cool:

I also wonder how the guy knew what there was in the pack. Pot smells but not if it's in a closed box or packed. Besides, he's not paid to think, just to drive and deliver... :/

Edited by Guest