Frusciante quits RHCP?

Farin

The Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist has allegedly left the band and will be replaced by Josh Kinghoffer, according to reports

[smaller]Sean Michaels | guardian.co.uk | Tuesday 15 December 2009 | link[/smaller]

John Frusciante has quit the Red Hot Chili Peppers, according to reports. After about two decades as the Peppers' lead guitarist, Frusciante will allegedly be replaced by Josh Klinghoffer, the group's touring axe-man.

Though the band has yet to release a statement, multiple sources have reported Frusciante's departure. The decision had been rumoured for months, stoked by Frusciante's comment in January that he had "no plans" with the group. More recently, Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith told Classic Rock magazine he "can't talk about [Frusciante]". "I have been told to stay away from the John questions," he said.

At this point, the writing doesn't just seem to be on the wall – it appears to have been signed and sealed by a notary. "Josh Klinghoffer has been playing with the group for a couple of months now," a source "close to the band" told MusicRadar. "The Peppers are trying to lock down a replacement for John."

While the band have been on a lengthy hiatus, they are booked to play a Neil Young tribute in January and were soon expected to re-enter the studio. The Peppers last toured in 2007, with Klinghoffer playing back-up to Frusciante.

Setting aside Flea's dalliance with Thom Yorke, Frusciante has perhaps been the Peppers' most bohemian member. He joined the group late, in 1989, yet quit just three years later, releasing solo albums – and getting addicted to heroin. Sober, he rejoined the band in 1999 but continued to release solo records, as well as collaborating with the Mars Volta, RZA and Vincent Gallo. In 2004, he launched a short-lived project called Ataxia with Fugazi's Joe Lally and none other than Klinghoffer.

"Mentally, John checked out a long time ago," explained MusicRadar's contact. "He's interested in doing his own thing, his own albums – the whole big rock band machinery just doesn't appeal to him any more."

Wikipedia says it's Navarro.

But then again, that's Wikipedia.

do you mean this quote:

It is said, from a credible source[who?], that Navarro will be returning to the Red Hot Chili Peppers in early 2010, as John Frusciante's full time replacement.[citation needed]

yes, I read that too ;)

just got this mail from a fansite:

"Less than one hour ago Dave Navarro tweeted that he is NOT the new Red Hot Chili Peppers Guitarist and that Josh Klinghoffer is! Although this is not official confirmation, Dave Navarro is still a credible source. Perhaps hes just been reading the rumours online like the rest of us or maybe he knows something we dont!? Time will tell."

Navarro will return to RHCP... as John Frusciante's full-time replacement.

Really? Seems like I've heard this one before. :shades:

You know who I think would be a good replacement?

Tom Morello (Rage against the Machine , Audioslave). He would be badazz with the Chili Peppers, but he's busy with his own project that isn't going anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Stadium-Arcadium.com can EXCLUSIVELY reveal that Josh Klinghoffer is the new guitarist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers!

"

I've managed to establish contact with Josh through the previous owner of Josh-Klinghoffer.net. Katrina (Previous owner of JKDN) has personal contact with Josh and was able to get him to reply to an e-mail asking if he was in the band, he confirmed that he is in the band earlier today! Stadium-Arcadium.com now has direct contact with Josh and will be able to bring you updates from him personally in the future!

Thanks so much to Katrina who has been such a blessing over the past few days, she's responsible for finding out that Josh is in the band as well as getting me in conact with Josh, so we all owe her our appreciation for bringing us the news we've all been waiting to hear! And thank you to Josh too for letting us know!"