Songs with woodwind instruments

c_s_1987

I've realised recently that I am much more likely to like a song if it uses woodwind instruments, especially the oboe and cor anglais. Being a fan of 70s prog rock, I know several bands with flautists, but I tend to prefer the other orchestral woodwind instruments.

We already have threads about flutes and saxophones, so we should probably try to stick to the other wind instruments here. :)

To start us off, there are a couple of great Icehouse songs with oboe:

Street Cafe

Man Of Colours

I have previously referred to Epitaph by King Crimson using oboe, but now I'm pretty sure it's just clarinet. My bad.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Is a flute woodwind? The flute is made of metal.

the distinction between woodwind and brass instruments isn't made because of the material it's made from, but how the sound is generated... if it's made by blowing over a sharp edge (flute) or a reed (ie a piece of 'wood'), then it's a woodwind.

eg saxophones falls into this category as well :)

Look at it this way, thousands of years before metal or brass was invented there was wood and shells...in this case, woodwind or shell-shock.

My thought;

It started when early man blew insects out of a hollowed wood reed whilst noticing a distinctive high-pitched sound that quickly took off from there. It opened doors to an entire new genre!

Namely this band!

Ironic that it was a song by them without a horn section. Although, props to the cow-bell guy!