A few changes on the main site

Carl

We've been under the hood the last few weeks working on our blog system. Here's what we got:

Songfacts Music Blogs

The highlights:

• Songfactor's Choice gets its own blog
  • We can put thumbnail images with the post descriptions, which you'll see in the Interviews blog
  • Slightly different comments system that displays the first 10 with the option to see more

This will let us do stuff like display a random interview or put snippets of interviews in different places on the site. So, if you guys have suggestions or ideas, there's less chance of a technical wall getting in the way.

:cool:

not bad :)

first thing I notice: maybe put a timestamp for each comment... if I see "comment pages 01 to 07" I don't know which one's the newest and which one's the oldest

This will let us do stuff like display a random interview or put snippets of interviews in different places on the site.

What exactly does that mean? Just that you can add snippets of the interviews to the facts pages more easily?

and how about adding these social network buttons ("retweet this", "digg this", ...) to the interviews? :)

not bad :)

first thing I notice: maybe put a timestamp for each comment... if I see "comment pages 01 to 07" I don't know which one's the newest and which one's the oldest

If the blog would display the old ones first this wouldn't be very smart now would it? :)

Edited by Guest

Zhivko, I think a lot of blogs do display oldest first - I've seen it all over, but always liked recent first.

Martin, we can do things like put modules on pages that will display an image of the subject and the description of the interview. One thought is to have something like this on the homepage that rotates to a different interview every hour. We can also put widgets like this on other sites like Artistfacts. Lots of possibilities.

• 5 months later...

Yeah, that's something we worked out with the most excellent site whosampled.com. With a little database cross-reference magic, we can list the songs that:

1) Are sampled in the song.

2) Sample that song.

See it in action at Wild Thing by Tone Loc.

The whosampled links will take you to their page where you can compare and contrast the samples.

On their pages, there are links to the Songfacts song pages.