Richard Thompson

ledjam9

I think Get the Word Out has been used for more recent bands, so I feel weird talking about an artist that has been around for 40+ years.

Richard Thompson is a folk rock singer/guitarist who can be best remembered from his stint with Fairport Convention during the late 60s/early 70s. At the time, Sandy Denny was still on vocals. For a great while, he and his wife Linda were a duo during the 70s and early 80s. His most recognized song is probably "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" off of his Rumor and Sigh album.

In the last month I've become obsessed with Richard Thompson and try to find all of the music I can listen to online. But, there's a problem. There is no music. It seems as if no one has heard of this guy before which is a shame. It seems there is a niche audience that likes him, since he's still coming out with new stuff, but I have yet to find them.

Plus, THERE ARE NO SONGFACTS FOR HIM! I just submitted Cooksferry Queen and I hope it's approved.

I think Get the Word Out has been used for more recent bands, so I feel weird talking about an artist that has been around for 40+ years.

Richard Thompson is a folk rock singer/guitarist who can be best remembered from his stint with Fairport Convention during the late 60s/early 70s. At the time, Sandy Denny was still on vocals. For a great while, he and his wife Linda were a duo during the 70s and early 80s. His most recognized song is probably "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" off of his Rumor and Sigh album.

In the last month I've become obsessed with Richard Thompson and try to find all of the music I can listen to online. But, there's a problem. There is no music. It seems as if no one has heard of this guy before which is a shame. It seems there is a niche audience that likes him, since he's still coming out with new stuff, but I have yet to find them.

Plus, THERE ARE NO SONGFACTS FOR HIM! I just submitted Cooksferry Queen and I hope it's approved.

Richard Thompson is a very under appreciated artist. I highly recommend "I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight", an album he recorded with his wife at the time, Linda Thompson. I also have a two album set which is, essentially, a compilation of the best material he recorded with Fairport Convention and his solo material with Linda Thompson.

If you like, I can probably digitize a lot of the material and send it to you as MP3 files. You can let me know if you're interested. Otherwise, you can get a lot of his material from CDNow or you can download many of his best songs on iTunes.

• 1 year later...

Not sure if any of the original posters will see this given that this thread is nearly 2 years old, but...

IMO, Richard Thompson is one of the 5 most underappreciated artists in the history of modern music. He is unrivaled when it comes to his combination of singing / songwriting / and guitar playing. His guitar playing is so good that an argument could be made that his is the best ever, and that includes Hendrix.

Anyone looking to find more of his music should start with his website, www.richardthompson-music.com. Nearly all of his albums are available there. There are also many videos of him on youtube. Good songs to start with are the aforementioned 1952 Vincent Black Lightning - which has got to be the best motorcycle themed song ever written. Also check out, in no particular order:

Beeswing

I Feel So Good

Turning of the Tide

Crawl Back (Under My Stone)

Walking the Long Miles Home

Keep Your Distance

Hard On Me - Live version is one of the best guitar solos you will ever hear

I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

A Heart Needs A Home

Tear Stained Letter

Read About Love

When the Spell is Broken

Walking on a Wire

Dad's Gonna Kill Me

Persuaision - there's a good video of this one on youtube that he sings with his son (Teddy Thompson - who people should also check out)

Cooksferry Queen

There are many, many more - his catalog is extremely deep.

Again, there is tons of good info on his website, www.richardthompson-music.com. He tours fairly regularly, and puts on an amazing show. I would encourage anyone even remotely interested in him to check him out live.

Cheers, and happy listening.