Chastity Bono's Sex Change Process Almost Complete

RonJonSurfer

Chaz Bono makes TV debut amid sex change

AP

Chaz Bono says beginning the sex-change process to turn him from a woman to a man is "the best decision I've ever made."

The 40-year-old writer, activist and reality-TV star, who was born a girl to Sonny Bono and Cher, says he's eight months into the years-long transformation and says he feels great.

Formerly called Chastity, he told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Thursday: "Life is short and life is precious. This is who I am. I need to finally be who I am."

Bono says he always felt like a boy growing up and came out as a lesbian 11 years ago. Now he's undergone gender-reassignment surgery and hormone therapy.

He tells ABC: "To me, gender is between your ears, not between your legs. I've felt male as far back as I can remember."

Physically, gender IS between your legs or more specifically, it's in your DNA. Your gender is defined at birth. XX for girls, XY for boys. What he is talking about is gender identity, which is mental. It's how you see yourself, which may or may not be the same as what you physically are. He may feel male, but biologically he never will be. He is a woman, and will remain one until the day he dies.

He is using surgery and hormone therapy to change his gender identity, not his gender. Either way, I wish him much happiness and hope that he now finds the fulfillment he was missing.