Beatles Covers

RockyRaccoon

Ah yes, the Shat. What would we do without his potato head?

Some really good Beatles covers can be found on the I Am Sam soundtrack. Here is the track listing ; Amazon didn't offer sound samples.

1. Two of Us - Aimee Mann & Michael Penn

2. Blackbird - Sarah McLachlan

3. Across the Universe - Rufus Wainwright

4. I'm Looking Through You - The Wallflowers

5. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - Eddie Vedder

6. Strawberry Fields - Ben Harper

7. Mother Nature's Son - Sheryl Crow

8. Golden Slumbers - Ben Folds

9. I'm Only Sleeping - The Vines

10. Don't Let Me Down - Stereophonics

11. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - The Black Crowes

12. Julia - Chocolate Genius

13. We Can Work It Out - Heather Nova

14. Help - Howie Day

15. Nowhere Man - Paul Westerberg

16. Revolution - Grandaddy

17. Let It Be - Nick Cave

The art of the cover version - to not mimic the original song, but rather to creatively interpret and impose one's own identity upon it - is difficult enough as it is. And more often than not, it is done badly.

With Beatles songs, it is doubly difficult, if not virtually impossible; because of The Beatles iconic status, it is quite natural for their originals to be universally viewed as the definitive version, "untouchable" almost.

One example of a Beatles cover which does the song justice, but which the interpreting artists have recreated in their own distinctive image: "Dear Prudence" - Siouxsie And The Banshees

Personally, I find it not only encouraging but ironic that my favourite cover-song is by my all-time favourite performer by my all-time favourite band!!!

SOMETHING...George Harrison (Beatles) Sung by ELVIS!!!

Sadly, this is rehearsal even though Elvis had upwards of one-hundred-thousand dedicated fans to watch HIM, the only concert larger in all of history was 'WOODSTOCK' remember, fans were @Woodstock to see about 20 different up-and-coming talent including Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Santana, CSNY and other tops!

Elvis was by his self! He never needed a follow-up.

Post Script;

The "ole crooner" (Frank Sinatra) himself said that "Something" (George Harrison/Beatles) was the BEST love song EVER written!!!

Now, can three of the best be wrong?

FOUR....if you count me!

:D

The above is a joke and not to be taken seriously!

However, on the subject of good "Beatles" covers...

What could be better than an ALL-GIRL band sounding just like McCartney & Lennon?

Here's an example...

Drive My Car

I didn't believe it either but those girls have it almost down better than the Beatles!

I have!

Only because you, RockyRaccoon, gave me a chance to see another "wonderful" Beatles rendition

Thanks and...in the words of Carl, "Be Well!"

RR, that not only sounds like the "Beatles" but looks like them, too!

RR, you're on the stage!

Haha am I now?

I can't tell if that is riddled with sarcasm or not...