Ken Ober, MTV Game Show Host, Dead at 52

RonJonSurfer

Ken Ober, MTV host of 'Remote Control' dead at 52

By Anthony Venutolo/The Star-Ledger

Ken Ober, best known as the host of MTV's "Remote Control, " died on Sunday, November 15, 2009 in Santa Monica, California. Ober was 52.

He was the the MTV generation's Alex Trebek.

While the cause of his death was not available at press time, Lee Kernis of Brillstein Entertainment Partners, who represented Ober, said the cause was unknown.

According to the rep, friends said Ober was not feeling well over the weekend and had a headache and flu-like symptoms and didn't meet them as planned. An autopsy is planned.

"Remote Control" debuted in 1987 and Ober hosted for five seasons which, along with "Club MTV" and "The Week In Rock," was MTV's first foray into series television.

The show tested kids' knowledge of pop-culture on a set that bore a strong resemblance to any suburban basement. Ober would stand behind a lectern and next to a giant TV screen, would ask questions about celebrities, movies, TV shows and music videos.

"Remote Control" helped launch the careers of Adam Sandler, Denis Leary and Colin Quinn, who act out sketches doubling as quiz questions.

Ober is survived by his mother, Claire Freeman of West Hartford, Conn.; his father, Burton, and stepmother, Iris, of Palm Beach, Fla., and a brother, Andrew, of Old Greenwich, Conn

Leave it to Song Facts to slut up an obit. That is shameful.

Why say "Leave it to Songfacts" to slut up an obit? Are you saying the posters at SF routinely slut up everything that is decent and deserving of reverence in the world? Other than pointing out that one of the main players on the show was an attractive female and there are pictures to prove it...what is shameful? There was nothing negative stated about Remote Control or Ken Ober.

When I think about watching Remote Control, I honestly didn't even remember Adam Sandler was on the show. When I think about the show, I remember Ken Ober and Kari Wuhrer. Had I not posted this story, you may have never found out Ken Ober died. It isn't a big story in Entertainmentland.

So a public "call out" because you think Ken Ober's obit was "slutted up" is uncalled for. I felt a public reply was called for to voice my opinion.

In the future I would recommend and appreciate a PT if you have any personal commentary about me or other SF members.

I knew a few people that were on that show, and at least one of them won. It was a great show, and a pop culture milestone. I still remember some of the categories, including Dead or Canadian and Tina Yothers Trivia (stuff like "If Tina Yothers is traveling North at 50 miles per hour, how long will it take her to go 30 miles?).

Other stuff I remember:

The contestants getting sucked into the wall when they were eliminated.

Ken intentionally mispronouncing "Kari" (he'd say "Carrie") just to get her riled up.

Lots of frat guys as contestants.

Ober was the perfect host. He kept it fun without pushing it over the goofy line.