Who? is going to perform at Super Bowl XLIV

MindCrime

The Who were alright - they didn't embarrass themselves .

I think the current executives of the NFL have as much an eye on the international audience as they do on N.America and a bizarre need to try and promote the Super Bowl as THE premier sporting event in the world and, hence , their desire for big name acts that most of that audience would know and perhaps be impressed by .

The game is now in 180 countries , but I don't believe it is watched ( with interest) by even a trickle as many in most of those countries, collectively, compared to the U.S. , due as much to time differences, lack of understanding of the game or just general interest . It has reached a plateau . Nearly every World Cup semi-final will equal or better the audience of the Super Bowl , so they may as well return to marching bands and cheerleader jiggles or home-grown acts.

I've spoken to more than 50 Japanese people since the game as to whether they watched or were interested in the game . Two said yes ( though one only was aware of it happening ) , and the rest either didn't know it was on , could care less what had happened , nor even who was playing , or what the ' big deal' was .

By globalizing the game to a largely disinterested audience , the NFL has managed to bump up , temporarily , revenues and salaries , etc . , but it has really just alienated it's true base by making tickets and products so ridiculously overpriced that real fans can rarely afford to get involved by going to a game without taking a huge financial hit .

Take Pink Floyd out as an option. With Rick Wright deceased, there's no way the David/Rick/Nick era of Pink Floyd will ever be seen again and if you think David and Roger are getting on the same stage again, you're crazy. They were getting into fights REHEARSING for Live 8.

that sounds like a great halftime show!

To see your favorite band put aside their differences and perform again?

No, to see them arguing on stage, since that's what I was talking about. David and Roger can't stand each other. If they got into fights merely rehearsing for Live 8, any other kind of live performance would be an utter disaster. Last I heard, they haven't even spoken to each other in years.

I saw them put aside some of their differences and perform together again -- July 2nd, 2005.

As I said, with Rick dead it's a moot point anyway.

As I said, with Rick dead it's a moot point anyway.

The Who did it with only 2 remaining members and a new backup band. I agree that we won't be seeing any Floyd reunions with Roger & Dave. It doesn't matter how much money is in it, they won't be doing it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got somebody like Lionel Richie or Diana Ross, or even Stevie Wonder to do the halftime show.

yeah, that was a different "Who" they pulled it off but...now I know how much I miss John Entwhistle...Roger's voice wasn't at it's best... Pete Townsend can still play but...he just didn't have the intensity (sp?) And the light show and Zak...that guy plays like Keith Moon...next year? Jeff Beck,Eric Clapton and maybe Jimmy Page...with Steve Winwood as a bonus...Nah...that's not going to happen :blah: