Who? is going to perform at Super Bowl XLIV

MindCrime

Who wants some breaking news?

Who wants to know who is performing at halftime of Super Bowl XLIV on Feb. 7 in Miami?

Who wants me to shut up and just get to it already?

Well, if you haven't figured it out by now, according to a source,

The Who will take the stage during the NFL's championship game. Reached for comment, an NFL spokesperson said, "When we have something to announce, we'll announce it." I can assure you I'm not just writing this because Tori Praver rocked this body paint in Sports Illustrated's 2007 Swimsuit Issue, which was billed as "The Music Issue." The Who will be performing at the Super Bowl.

Read more

• 2 months later...

Considering their age and the fact that the band is depleted, I think they pulled it off. We can't expect Daltrey to have the pipes he had 30 years ago. It was fairly solid stuff though.

The whole thing is here, along with the interview and acoustic performance at the press conference:

http://www.classicpopicons.com/the-who-halftime-super-bowl-show/

I'd like to see Bon Jovi, Van Halen or AC/DC. All big time, stadium worthy acts.

I thought The Who performed well, much better than I thought. Anyone who expected going in they were getting Who of 35 years ago was just simply wrong. They are old, no denying. But I was prepared to cringe, as I did for the Stones' appearance, and that didn't happen, I enjoyed it. They represented themselves & their music well I thought.

I'd say the majority of people who watch the Super Bowl don't have "modern tastes" anyway. Artists like The Who make sense from a marketing perspective. They appeal to most old people, and some young people (including myself). A friend of mine suggested Jay Z, but that would alienate a good portion of the older population.

People don't watch the Halftime Show the way they do the actual game. Half-time is for taking a leak, refilling the chip/dip bowls, microwaving something, getting more beer.....I'd say the majority of people watching the Super Bowl don't sit there enraptured by who is performing. So you could put anyone up there and it won't make a hill of beans difference, really.

I'd say the majority of people who watch the Super Bowl don't have "modern tastes" anyway. Artists like The Who make sense from a marketing perspective. They appeal to most old people, and some young people (including myself). A friend of mine suggested Jay Z, but that would alienate a good portion of the older population.

My friends were also talking about Jay Z and came to the same conclusion. Ah well either way I'm in the same boat as pinkstones. The halftime show has always been the least important part of the super bowl for me (though if they picked someone I wanted to see it might be different).