The Songfactors' Choice Top Albums of the Decade: The '00's

Lucky

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they had most of their success in the 90s, as did Oasis. Radiohead, for whatever reason, just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger (I'm waiting for them to explode) and managed to stay relevant through the 00s (bah, humbug)

Edited by Guest

I'm surprised that there's a lot of names missing from these nominations. Madonna, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Beck, hell NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys even. They have some of the biggest-selling albums of the last 10 years.

This is a mostly rock oriented site, not pop so much.

I guess I'll have to renominate one of Shannon's removed nominations:

elephantthewhitestripes.png

[bigger]ELEPHANT - THE WHITE STRIPES[/bigger]

1. "Seven Nation Army" – 3:51

2. "Black Math" – 3:03

3. "There's No Home for You Here" – 3:43

4. "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) – 2:46

5. "In the Cold, Cold Night" – 2:58

6. "I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart" – 3:20

7. "You've Got Her in Your Pocket" – 3:39

8. "Ball and Biscuit" – 7:19

9. "The Hardest Button to Button" – 3:32

10. "Little Acorns" (Mort Crim, J. White) – 4:09

11. "Hypnotize" – 1:48

12. "The Air Near My Fingers" – 3:40

13. "Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine" – 3:17

14. "Well It's True That We Love One Another" – 2:42

I respectfully disagree, MC. This is a music oriented site. I know I discuss and nominate music other than rock, along with many others.

For the record, I love 'N Sync so much it hurts my 40 year old bones. I just decided to go with the r&b/rap/hip hop side of my tastes for this particular Songfactor's Choice because I really do feel the two I nominated were totally important to the decade.

*gently sliding down off my soap box so as not to bruise my old limbs*

I think what Kenne meant wasn't any "official stand" of Songfacts as to a preferred type of music, but rather that a majority of the users of this forum seem to prefer a certain type of music

Just to avoid any misunderstandings, let me say again that there are No Genre Restrictions for your nominations!

If it's from the 00s and YOU feel it's one of the most important records of this decade then feel free to nominate it :)

;)

24l55ko.jpg

Funeral ~ Arcade Fire (2004)

1. "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)" – 4:48

2. "Neighborhood #2 (Laïka)" – 3:31

3. "Une année sans lumière" – 3:40

4. "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" – 5:12

5. "Neighborhood #4 (7 Kettles)" – 4:49

6. "Crown of Love" – 4:42

7. "Wake Up" – 5:35

8. "Haïti" – 4:07

9. "Rebellion (Lies)" – 5:10

10. "In the Backseat" – 6:20

some critic's voices:

"brave, empowering, and dusted with something that many of the indie-rock genre's more contrived acts desperately lack: an element of real danger." (allmusic)

"empowering and hopeful and euphoric all at once [...] it says everything there is to say about mortality and it does it in 10 tracks." (Drowned In Sound)

"celebratory, emotionally rich and life-affirming" (Stylus)

"bizarre at turns and recognizable elsewhere, equally beautiful and harrowing, theatrical and sincere, defying categorization while attempting to create new genres." (PopMatters)

I'm surprised that there's a lot of names missing from these nominations. Madonna, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Beck, hell NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys even. They have some of the biggest-selling albums of the last 10 years

Aside from Beck, I won't miss 'em. And I'll be thankful if this 10 is about quality music not number of albums sold because of a few hit songs. :P

rbk2n6.jpg

[big]Up The Bracket -- The Libertines[/big]

(2002)

1. Vertigo

2. Death on the Stairs

3. Horrorshow

4. Time For Heroes

5. Boys In The Band

6. Radio America

7. Up the Bracket

8. Tell the King

9. The Boy Looked At Johnny

10. Begging

11. The Good Old Days

12. I Get Along

All songs written by Doherty/Barât.

Wikipedia says:

"Online music magazine Pitchfork placed Up the Bracket at number 138 on their list of top 200 albums of the 2000s, and was placed 44 on a similar list by Uncut. NME placed the album tenth in a list of the greatest British albums ever, as well as calling it the 2nd Greatest Album of the decade 2000-09."

:rockon:

3035774841_71ab980c96.jpg

Demon Days - Gorillaz

(2005)

1. "Intro"

2. "Last Living Souls"

3. "Kids with Guns (featuring Neneh Cherry)"

4. "O Green World"

5. "Dirty Harry"

6. "Feel Good Inc." (featuring De La Soul)

7. "El Manana"

8. "Every Planet We Reach Is Dead"

9. "November Has Come (featuring MF Doom)"

10. "All Alone"

11. "White Light"

12. "DARE" (featuring Shaun Ryder)

13. "Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head"

14. "Don't Get Lost in Heaven"

15. "Demon Days"

It not only eclipses the first Gorillaz album, which in itself was a terrific record but stands alongside the best Blur albums, providing a tonal touchstone for this decade...

I think what Kenne meant wasn't any "official stand" of Songfacts as to a preferred type of music, but rather that a majority of the users of this forum seem to prefer a certain type of music

Correct. I listen to all kinds of music and have even complained about the 90's songs list being hostage to alternative. I just observed that the majority of the site listens to either the classics or the 90s - today Alternative-to-mainstream genre.

I'll be thankful if this 10 is about quality music not number of albums sold because of a few hit songs.

True that also

YES! From an album released at the start of this week I take a massive step back to the very beginning of the decade - the year 2000. it gives me great, immense, pleasure to reveal my nomination #2. I am so excited because I thought it was released before 2000, and now that I know it's eligible, there is NOT A DOUBT IN MY MIND that I need to nominate it.

(oo, and it just made it, too - recorded 1999, released 2000)

Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia - The Dandy Warhols

thirteentalescover.jpg

Spellbinding, semi-shoegaze, cool, detached, beautiful, heart-wrenching, careless, angry, lost, country-y, smug and a bunch of other adjectives ALL AT ONCE. Openers Godless, Mohammed and Nietzsche blend seamlessly with each other and all have their own defiant lyrical hook.

"hey I said you were godless and

it seems like you're a soulless friend"

- Godless

"again and again

I get up and say,

I only want to get a ride.

I only want to do the right thing

but all these demons pass beside"

- Mohammed

"I

want a god

who stays dead

not plays dead.

I

even I

can play dead"

Nietzsche

Sleep is sublime and one of the best tracks anyone ever recorded. Everyone knows Bohemian Like You and everyone should know its cousin Cool Scene ("Didn't really wanna be in high school All the talking fools, what it means last I seen, Baby it's all me"). Shakin' is the one that's smug (uh huh huh huh huh, uh huh huh huh) and Horse Pills and Country Leaver are the unhazy bits of the album. One of my favourite albums ever, the Dandys' very best album ever and the album responsible for me picking them over BJM.

"Things We Lost in the Fire" - Low

Released: January 22, 2001

Length: 54:19

Label: Kranky

Producer: Steve Albini

"Things We Lost In The Fire" is the most sublime, finely-crafted and nuanced articulation of melancholia I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. There is not a musical note out of place; every sound, every harmony, every silence has its purpose. The dramatic tension is palpable.

I can think of no greater indulgence than that rare opportunity to sink into an armchair in a still, quiet and darkened room, and immerse myself in its beautiful misery.

Track listing

"Sunflower" – 4:39

"Whitetail" – 5:03

"Dinosaur Act" – 4:13

"Medicine Magazines" – 4:33

"Laser Beam" – 2:54

"July" – 5:35

"Embrace" – 5:37

"Whore" – 4:23

"Kind of Girl" – 3:30

"Like a Forest" – 2:27

"Closer" – 5:06

"Untitled" – 0:46

"In Metal" – 4:19

"Sunflower"

"Laser Beam"

"Embrace"

"In Metal"

Radiohead.kida.albumart.jpg

Kid A ~ Radiohead

Kid A is the fourth album by the English alternative rock band Radiohead, released in October 2000. A commercial success worldwide,[11] Kid A went platinum in its first week of release in the UK.[12] Despite the lack of an official single or music video as publicity, Kid A became the first Radiohead release to debut at number one in the US.

Kid A has been considered one of the more challenging pop records to have commercial success,[22] and it polarised opinion among both fans and critics.[15] The album won a Grammy for Best Alternative Album and was nominated for Album of the Year. It also received praise for introducing listeners to diverse forms of underground music.

1. "Everything in Its Right Place"

2. "Kid A"

3. "The National Anthem"

4. "How to Disappear Completely"

5. "Treefingers"

6. "Optimistic"

7. "In Limbo" –

8. "Idioteque" (Radiohead, Paul Lansky)

9. "Morning Bell"

10. "Motion Picture Soundtrack"

Youtube playlist

Grooveshark playlist (better quality)

Certainly check out: Kid A, Everything is in it's right place, Idioteque, how to disappear completely,.. and notice the difference of sounds that they bring you in only 10 songs!